Mind Mapping?

Way back in September 2011 the Administrator said, “DEVONthink supports text and very simple outlines (e.g. using rich text lists), but not (yet) mind maps.” (See blog.devontechnologies.com/2011/ … d-mapping/) the “yet” got me thinking and I was wondering if any progress had been made on this front?

No. It’s still an option for future releases but so far it’s not really a popular request. Therefore there are lots of other requests that have a higher priority, not to mention known shortcomings like the user interface :slight_smile:

Fair enough…your reply is intriguing in that my overiding curiosity prompts to ask what are the “other requests that have a higher priority”? In other words what delights may we look forward to? :smiley:

Usually we don’t announce future updates anymore (as we announced stuff too soon in the past), therefore I can’t tell :mrgreen:

1 Like

Oooh…not even a hint! :cry:

“… not to mention known shortcomings like the user interface :slight_smile:” sounds like a hint to me. :slight_smile:

Well, I would be interesting in simple mapmapping features.
Or just opening structured data in a popular mindmap software. And/Or reversally visualizing and editing mindmap data as text maps in DTP.
Though I would give my preference to Freemind for being opensource, other software such as XMind do a great job.

You can view mindmap files if the application has provided a QuickLook plugin for their format.

I find MindNode easy to use & very adaptable

Bill

1 Like

Nice. I hear their iOS app is good too.

I would see two levels of mind-mapping:

1. MM purely at content level: DT allowing to edit mindmaps which then become first-class citizens of the software. I guess it wouldn’t have a lot of advantages over a full-fledged MM tool with QuickLook plugin, except for ease of use, wiki linking, … Here one could play with the idea of markdown-mindmapping: typing a mindmap as a markdown document, which then gets painted into a mindmap.

2. MM as a mean to navigate and enrich the Database structure and navigation experience. One could imagine:

• a MM-like navigational representation of the groups/tags hierarchy with documents as leafs, providing an overview of the hierarchy (actually a directed graph due to replication possibilities).
    • a MM-like document-centric representation with its parent groups and tags as well as outlinks and inlinks surrounding it, providing a contextual view of the document.
    • acting on those representations (deletion/renaming/moving) would be acting on the DB itself.