Missing deletion confirmation serious DEVONthink design bug!

I doubt that’ll happen but at least there could be a keyboard shortcut to select and/or activate Okay like is often possible in similar dialogs in other apps. Currently it’s increasingly tempting to permanently disable the dialog instead of leaving it enabled as a safety net.

Hmm, now that I just disabled it, I can’t seem to find the option to reenable it…

There isn’t an option to re-enable. When I raised this point at "Move to Trash" confirmation message I was told to delete the Preferences file, meaning that all my preferences would be lost and have to be re-set by hand. This isn’t considered to be an inconvenience apparently.

Sometime things seem “apparent” even when they’re not true. All this means is that we don’t have a mechanism in place yet.

As for a keyboard shortcut to be used with deletion messagebox I use:

TAB (to get focus on OK button) + SpaceBar (to “press” the button)

I’m on a Windows machine so I cannot test it to be 100% sure but I think that should be the right one.

I’d check the preferences file for a single property key to delete or modify. I didn’t spot it here, but may it’s created when the dialog’s been disabled.

Sounds like you have “All controls” enabled under System Preferences > Keyboard > Keyboard shortcuts. With it disabled here, Tab and Space keys do nothing in the dialog. And Escape doesn’t invoke Cancel.

The key is indeed created after suppressing the warning. Try this…

1. Quit DEVONthink.
  2. In the Finder, do a Spotlight search for Terminal. Open it.
  3. Paste this: defaults delete com.devon-technologies.thinkpro2 “DontAskBeforeTrashing” and press Return
  4. Type: exit and quit Terminal.
  5. Relaunch DEVONthink and the warning is back on.

Cheers!
8^)

I now get an error in the Terminal when executing this command-did this break in Mavericks? Any suggestions to get it to work?

Gregs-MacBook-Pro:~ Greg$ defaults delete com.devon-technologies.thinkpro2 "DontAskBeforeTrashing"
2013-12-30 09:04:17.614 defaults[439:507] 
Domain (com.devon-technologies.thinkpro2) not found.
Defaults have not been changed.
Gregs-MacBook-Pro:~ Greg$ 

I do not know why the Terminal command is not working in Mavericks (confirming that over here it also does not work). But try this link – which over here restores the “are you sure” prompt. (Change “no” to “yes” to do the opposite.)

x-devonthink://preference?key=DontAskBeforeTrashing&value=no