Missing Image on Import

Hi, all–

I’m very new to DevonThink. I’ve heard other writers rave about the software so I purchased it for my research files. I have the Office Pro version, if it matters. I just created a database for the files & emails I downloaded from several online classes. But the images for one of the classes are not loading in DevonThink, just the text of each file. The files are .doc.dot & I’ve tried importing them as such. I’ve also tried converting the files to .docx first. The files open fine in Word 08 and in NeoOffice, but as soon as I import the files to DevonThink, I lose the images. Any suggestions?

–Candace

DEVONthink is using code built into OS X that allows indexing and capture of the text content (only) of Word .doc files.

DEVONthink retains a Path link to the original .doc file, so it can be opened for viewing or printing by using the Launch Path command in DEVONthink.

If you wish to see the original formatting, layout and images you can “print” the file from Word to result in a PDF version saved in the database. With the .doc file open in Word, press Command-P to open the Print panel, click on the PDF button and choose “Save to DEVONthink Pro Office”.

Thanks! This is exactly what I needed. (Creating pdfs) I’m really liking this software, but I have another Q. Perhaps you could help.

I write military/political thrillers, hence, I have a lot of data stored across the topic spectrum. I’m not sure how zealous I should be in creating separate databases since there’s a lot of overlap for individual books.

Is there a way to split a database into two or more databases once they’re set up? Also, can I combine two databases at a later date? I can’t seem to locate this subject in the help manual.

–Candace

Yes. To split a database, first create a new folder in the Finder, that’s to be used to temporarily hold the material being transferred.

Now select the material that you would like to export to a new database and choose File > Export > Files & Folders. Choose that new Finder folder as the target for the export.

Next, choose File > New Database and create and name your new database. Once it has been created, choose File > Import > Files & Folders and select all the contents of that target folder in the Finder for the import.

Inspect the newly populated database. If all looks good, it’s time for some housekeeping. First, run Tools > Verify & Repair on the new database to check it for errors, then run Tools > Backup & Optimize. Next, choose File > Open Recent to switch back to the first database, select the material that had been exported and delete it from this database. Finally, in the Finder, delete that export target folder. (In my “belt and suspenders” frame of mind, I’m cautious about deleting data until I’m satisfied that all went as planned.)

That’s it. You have split a database into two working databases.

The process to merge two databases into one should be obvious, as it employs the same Export/Import procedures to an intermediary folder in the Finder.

Note: Whenever doing imports and exports it’s a good idea to inspect the Log (Tools > Log) after the procedure. The Log will list any file(s) that failed to export or import.