More plain text extensions

Hi. This is (hopefully) a simple request: although the list of extensions DT recognises as corresponding to a plain text file is quite extensive, every now and then i find one that is missing (usually for source code files; case in point: .erl). Would you consider adding .erl (Erlang source code) as a new txt extension in future versions? Alternatively, it’d be nice to make said list configurable, so that one can add new extensions (or provide some kind of mime type management/configuration)… unless, that is, this is already possible and i missed it :slight_smile:

Thanks,
jao

Thanks for the suggestion, the next release will support .erl files.

cgrunenberg, great!

If you’re going to add .erl, it would probably be a good idea to add .hrl too (it’s the extension for another kind of Erlang source files).

Thanks for your quick reply, and for keeping improving DT!

Cheers

I’ll add .hrl too.

I would like to see .textile added, too. This is ASCII formatted in Textile-Markup to be parsed to HTML.

Wouldn’t it be a good idea to let users add their own extensions?

Cheers!
Ralf

Actually Apple has solved this problem for us already by introducing UTIs into Tiger, but unfortunately this is not compatible with Panther users. So this is why for version 1 of DT it will be cumbersome to do.

I work with a lot of files that are plain text but use different extensions. I think that many academics, scientists, and programmers do as well. It would be really nice if you could simply tell DEVONthink how to treat certain files. For example: .fasta, .cpp, .cc, .m, .pdb, etc. can all be opened as plain text. It’s easy to tell the finder to open these in a text editor, it would be an excellent improvement to DEVONthink. If there is a way to do this, I’d would really like to know about it.

There’s a hidden preference: You could either enter this in the Terminal…

defaults write com.devon-technologies.thinkpro2 AdditionalPlainTextExtensions -string .fasta.pdb

…while DEVONthink Pro (Office) isn’t running or click on the link…

x-devonthink://preference?key=AdditionalPlainTextExtensions&value=.fasta.pdb

…and relaunch DEVONthink.

Can I add an extension to DEVONSphere express in the same way? I want it to find music files written in ‘abc’ notation, which are plain text with the extension abc.

Welcome @thosgreen
No this is not supported in DEVONsphere Express.

@BLUEFROG Thanks. Pity. Just to be clear, I didn’t mean “can DEVONsphere Express find those files already”, but “is it possible to customise DEVONsphere Express in a similar way that DEVONthink can apparently be customised?”. Presumably there’s a list of extensions somewhere in the code - it would only require extending that list.

Making DE customisable would surely be a good feature.