Move a document from the Global Inbox to a database's Inbox

When I want to move documents from the Global Inbox to a database’s Inbox I dropped them in the times of of DT2 onto the (collapsed) databse name in the sidebar.

But when I do that now in DT3 the document does not land in the Database’s Inbox, but unintendedly in the root of the database. :frowning:

Is there an easy way to move documents to the Inbox without expanding the database in the side bar?

Many thanks,
Leo

Options (there are more than these):

1. Make the Inbox(es) of the destination database(s) into Favorites, then drag the document to a favorite in the sidebar.
  2. Same as (1) but instead of drag, use Move To… in the contextual menu and choose a favorite – helpful when the sidebar is hidden.
  3. Use the Data > Move To… command (or ^⌘M) and use the small popup that appears there to search and place the document.
  4. Drag the document out of DEVONthink 3 and onto the app’s icon in the Dock, so that the group.

I always suggest: read the manual, read Help, read Kissell’s book, or just click around and experiment. 99% of questions asked here can be answered quickly by experimentation. That’s how we all learned – it’s interesting and well worth the investment.

2 Likes

But when I do that now in DT3 the document does not land in the Database’s Inbox, but unintendedly in the root of the database.

There is a clear distinction between the Inbox and database’s root in DEVONthink 3, so the drop operation is logical.

Drop in the Inbox, it goes to the Inbox.
Drop on the database’s name in Open Databases, it goes in the root.

And yes, @korm’s suggestion are all good ones.

Thanks for the pointers. - I didn’t think of 2. at all!

To your last point:

I always suggest: read the manual, read Help, read Kissell’s book, or just click around and experiment. 99% of questions asked here can be answered quickly by experimentation.

I asked here, because the behavior seemed to me to have changed from DT2 to DT3 - and it could have been that I just have overlooked a new special preference for this (similar to Do group tags not apply anymore to group document).

Cheers,
Leo

Sure. A helpful place to look for things like that is DEVONthink > Help > Documentation > Appendix > Hidden Preferences.

1 Like

Thanks. :slight_smile: