Moving Email to DevonThink -- Not Working. Please help!

I want to archive my email to DTP. I have tried using the “Import” feature of DTP, and the Apple Mail Plug-in with no success.

When I use the Apple Mail Plug-in, it moves an empty mailbox. I tried moving my Gmail “All Mail” folder. I went to Apple Mail and choose “All Mail.” Then from the “Mailbox” menu, I chose “Add to DevonThink 3.” It took some time to process and moved the mailbox. The mailbox showed up empty.

When I use the “Import Feature” it does not load any messages for the mailbox I want to archive.

2020-05-24_16-06-37

The strange thing is I have 43,000 emails in one account and 73,000 in the other. So, I cannot understand why this does not work.

Please help.

Was anything logged to Windows > Log. How exactly did you try to add the mailbox? Via Mailbox > Add to DEVONthink 3 in Apple Mail?

Yes, there was a lot logged except for one line item for my main mailbox name, “NYU Mailbox” and successfully verified. It does not indicate anything else for any of the sub mailboxes. I also tried this several times on other accounts, which aren’t in the log. Yes, I used Mailbox>Add to DEVONthink 3 in Apple Mail.

What do you think is wrong?

As it’s a large number of messages and they might not all be (fully) available locally, it’s possible that it’s a timeout. Please choose Help > Report Bug while pressing the Alt modifier key and send the result to cgrunenberg - at - devon-technologies.com - thanks!

Thank you @cgrunenberg. I just sent it over.

How can I track this issues?
What’s the best way to get emails in DTP in the meantime?

One workaround might be to use the scripts for Apple Mail, see Scripts menu extra after installing additional scripts via DEVONthink 3 > Install Add-Ons…

@cgrunenberg

One workaround might be to use the scripts for Apple Mail, see Scripts menu extra after installing additional scripts via DEVONthink 3 > Install Add-Ons…

I have these add-ons installed. However, O don’t see the scripts for Apple Mail in my scripts menu (in DTP or in my universal scripts on my computer). Where would these script show up on a Mac?

In the Scripts menu extra of the computer while Apple Mail is active.

When I have large volumes of mail to archive, I export an mbox from the Mail app, then import that into DT. Works well.

1 Like

That’s a great idea. If I import the same mailbox more then once, will it overwrite the existing emails in DTP?

Emails already added to the database are skipped (or optionally replicated, see Preferences > Email).

1 Like