Moving from Pro Office Trial to buying Personal

I was trialing DEVONthink. I decided to trial the pro office version too see what its features where like. I just finished my trial. I just bought the Personal version as I didn’t need the pro/office features.

I can’t figure out how to import the database I was using into Devonthink Personal.

There is no direct route between the two.

1. Select the records to move in the source database in Pro Office.
  2. Choose File > Export > Files and Folders and choose (or create) a folder on your Desktop. This is important as it keeps any ungrouped files from being mixed in with other files accidentally.
  3. After the export is finished, switch to DEVONthink Personal and choose File > Import > Files and Folders. Select the contents of the folder from Step 2, not the folder itself.

This should maintain the metadata for the files. When the process is finished (and a quick visual inspection is not a bad idea), I would do a Tools > Verify & Repair or a Tools > Rebuild Database to ensure the new database’s integrity.

While waiting for a reply I did something a bit different. I took the database file I was using in pro and renamed it to “DEVONthink 2” then deleted the automatically generated folder of the same name and copied it there. It seems to be working now. Are there any problems with this method?

That works, too.