Multiple Macs, DT3, DTTG, and OneDrive

I haven’t been able to find anyone describing my specific use case, so my apologies if I’m retreading already trod ground. I’m looking at sync with DT3, DTTg, and OneDive, but not sure I’m doing it correctly (or the most efficient way).

A bit about my current setup, and then the question.

I currently use OneDrive as my document repository (hard to beat 1TB free). EVERYTHING I keep (except media) is stored there (currently 113GB) and then synced to my various devices.

Devices:
1: iMac, syncing with OneDrive via MS OD app (all folders and files downloaded and stored locally, ie. not using On-Demand feature). DT3 installed
2: MacBook Pro, syncing with OneDrive via MS OD app (all folders and files downloaded and stored locally ie. not using On-Demand feature). DT3 installed
3: iPhone, DTTG installed (but used for viewing only)
4: iPad, DTTG installed (but used for viewing only)

I try to mirror my systems as much as possible, so everything is the same place (folder paths) on both machines

I have only one (1) database in DT3 (Reference) which indexes a few select folders in the OneDrive folder, and then has a few additional folders created within DT3 (bookmarks, etc.).

My goal is to be able to sit at either machine and work with both OneDrive and DT3, and have the changes made in both (new file added to OD, or a new bookmark added in DT3) synced to the other.

So my questions (or confusion):
Is it better to set up the indexing on just one machine (laptop as its primary), and then have that db synced to the iMac? Does that mean the iMac is only seeing what occurs on the MacBook (or that it’ ssomehow ‘primary’)?

Or is it better to set up indexing separately on each, pointing to the same folders on OD (respectively)?
And would this mean 2 different index files (one for each machine/setup), or, because they’re indexing the same folder is this just one index?

And lastly, where would I point the iPhone/iPad and DTTG? iCloud?

Again, sorry if I’m covering familiar ground, and I apologize for the length. It’s just a bit confusing, and I’d rather not end up with duplicates or extra files, or things falling ‘out of sync’ if possible

Thanks,
Trevor

How do you synchronize your databases?

Is the path of the OneDrive folder identical on all computers?

DEVONthink To Go doesn’t support indexing due to the limitations of iOS, therefore it only receives the items indexed on the Mac but can e.g. view, modify or organize them.

Thanks for the reply. Answers below.

How do you synchronize your databases?

iCloud

Is the path of the OneDrive folder identical on all computers?

Yes. OneDrive is located in the Home folder on both machines and the sub-folder is identical since it’s all synced via OD.

DEVONthink To Go doesn’t support indexing due to the limitations of iOS, therefore it only receives the items indexed on the Mac but can e.g. view, modify or organize them.

So when you say “on the Mac”, I’m assuming you mean DTTG is grabbing what’s being synced in iCloud, not on one of the Macs in particular?

1 Like

In this case this should be no problem.

DEVONthink To Go receives the indexed data only via sync locations from the Mac. This could be an iCloud sync location but doesn’t have to be.