Mysterious (non-)replicants

I use one database as a “working” database, synced to my iPad, actively edited, etc. I use another as an “archive,” for materials that I’m currently not using but want to keep.

At some time in the indeterminate past – probably 2020 – I put a selection of materials from the “archive” database in the “working” database. (I don’t remember whether I moved or duplicated/replicated the files. While in the destination database, they appeared to be unique, with no indication that they were duplicates/replicants.)

Time passed. I upgraded DevonThink, DTTG, and both the iPad and the Mac.

Then this afternoon I looked at the working database and said “Huh. Why is that stuff here?” and attempted to drag the materials back to the archive database. Nothing happened. Tried it again, nothing happened. Created a new destination folder and used the Move command instead of drag and drop.

That worked, and at that point I finally got a clue and noticed that the (tiny) log icon in my toolbar had an (even tinier) number next to it. Clicked the icon, and lo and behold, it turns out that the operation was throwing an error message because “UUID already exists in database.”

And now “replicant” icons appeared next to the forcibly moved items, allowing me to find the originals in the usual way.

But I found all of this very confusing. Why, when I attempted to drag and drop the files, did nothing at all appear to happen, in either the origin or destination database? Why didn’t DT just replicate the files on the assumption that I knew what I was doing. Or give me a more visible error message explaining why it wouldn’t? What is the expected behavior in this situation?

Why, when I attempted to drag and drop the files, did nothing at all appear to happen, in either the origin or destination database?

This error doesn’t generate a prompt. However, as noted, it logs to Window > Log or the Log popover.

Why didn’t DT just replicate the files on the assumption that I knew what I was doing.

That would be a dangerous assumption for software to make.

Or give me a more visible error message explaining why it wouldn’t?

See above.

What is the expected behavior in this situation?

If there are files with duplicate UUIDs, then the correct behavior is to ignore and warn.
However, if Preferences > Files > Emails > Previously imported will become replicants is enabled, DEVONthink would generate replicants.

Thank you for the clarification.

These specific items were PDF files, not imported emails. Is the same behavior expected?

That would be unexpected but not unheard of.
Were these files in this database syncing with DEVONthink To Go 2.x in the past?

Yes. They were probably also on the device during the DTTG update-related sync issue.

So I’m not entirely surprised that DT failed to initially flag them as replicants, despite their non-unique UUIDs. These files have a bit of a complex history.

Yeah - legacy data sometimes spawn gremlins. :wink: