Need help triggering a smart rule when clipping via sorter

Yes.

Okay. I’m not seeing any such errors here, so let’s see what Criss determines.

BTW: why are you capturing RTF(D) and modifying the attributes? Just curious.

Hey, maybe all my complaining will actually reveal a real stealthy bug skulking underneath!

The RTF files made by the clipper use fonts that I feel are way too large to read comfortably (16pt body copy, with a line height of 24pt). So I shrink them down with my script.

I also add some additional formatting to improve readability: e.g. making the first paragraph (the link back to the article) small, and the second paragraph (the title) larger.

Hey, maybe all my complaining will actually reveal a real stealthy bug skulking underneath!

You never know. It happens sometimes. :wink:

But… why RTF? :slight_smile:

To annoy you? :wink:

RTF’s my default for all my notes, so I started with that. (I use formatting, highlihgting, tabs, etc. quite a lot, and need it to be WYSIWYG so Markdown doesn’t work for me) I also chop down my clipped articles a lot, so PDF was out.

But testing it now, I see that Web Archive works pretty well too: I didn’t know it was so easily editable.

Generally though, I just wanted some control over how the clipped articles looked. Since there’s no way to change the default styles, I worked with the file format I know.

Hahahaha! I literally LOL’d when I read this :rofl:

But testing it now, I see that Web Archive works pretty well too: I didn’t know it was so easily editable.

Webarchives are getting to be a more poor choice IMHO, unless you’re staying away from monetized or clickbait-filled sites, full of JavaScripts and content loaded remotely.

You may want to try formatted notes.

I do love me some clickbait. But no, that wouldn’t be good.

Just curious: what’s the benefit of formatted note over RTF? Is the formatted note a proprietary DevonTech format?

We don’t do much with the word “proprietary” in it. It’s a non-proprietary HTML format, similar to Evernote’s proprietary note format.

It often respects the formatting from the original site and it’s also WYSIWYG editable. Try it out and see what you think.

Still no luck. Do you use any additional smart rules which might be performed on the clipped item too? Is thumbnailing of other file types (see Preferences > Media) enabled?

The next release should fix this, assuming that thumbnailing was enabled.

You, sir, rock. That was it!

Yes, the preference for “Create Thumbnails > Other media types” was checked on. I unchecked it, and the script now runs as expected. Awesome!

And now I don’t have to give up my beloved RTF files. :wink:

And now I don’t have to give up my beloved RTF files.

Booooo!! Hissss!!! :stuck_out_tongue:

Love them too, much more user-friendly than Markdown :smiley:

Heresy!!! :stuck_out_tongue: :joy:

Oh no, it’s a file format Throwdown!

(No, but seriously, Markdown? Only slightly better than trying to read raw HTMl! :wink: )

:flushed:
takes off gloves and throws them to the ground

Actually, I write long-form Markdown every day. It’s not only very efficient, I can style it to my tastes very easily.

Ah, to each his own!

1 Like