Need help with an export script

I’m trying to create a script that will export the current database files (a mimic of File>Export>Files and Folders) to a specific folder.

tell application "DEVONthink Pro"
	try
		if not (exists current database) then error "No database is open."
		set this_database to current database
		set database_name to name of current database
		set this_date to do shell script "date +%Y-%m-%d"
		set export_name to this_date & " | " & database_name as string
	end try
end tell
tell application "Finder"
		make new folder at alias "Macintosh HD:Users:user:Desktop:" with properties {name:export_name}
end tell
	export data of this_database to "Macintosh HD:Users:user:Desktop:"
end tell
end tell

A few things I’m having trouble with:
Getting the right syntax for DevonThink Pro to export the files and folders of the current group…

I’d like to export the content to a new folder I created, but how would I reference that folder?

Sorry, but my AppleScript knowledge is bare, so I appreciate any help you can send my way.

Thank you.

Seems to me it would be simpler to use the DEVONthink actions in Automator and build a workflow to do this. Those actions include selecting databases, groups, exporting, etc.

I’m having a few issues with Automator.

For example my Receipts Database

I can create a folder with Today’s date in My Documents>Receipts Exports
I can export my database, but how to I select the folder that has not yet been created during the workflow?

Hi!

This script might be what you’re looking for.

try
		if not (exists current database) then error "No database is open."
		set this_database to current database
		set this_root to root of current database
		set database_name to name of current database
		set this_date to do shell script "date +%Y-%m-%d"
		set export_name to this_date & " | " & database_name as string
	end try
end tell
try
	tell application "Finder"
		set this_folder_properties to the properties of (make new folder at alias "Macintosh HD:Users:ndouglas:Desktop:" with properties {name:export_name})
		set this_folder to folder (name of this_folder_properties) of (container of this_folder_properties) as string
		set this_path to POSIX path of this_folder
	end tell
		export record this_root to this_path
	end tell
end try

Does that help? Let me know if you have any problems, and thanks for your post :slight_smile:

YES!

Thank you so much for your help! This script is finally finished!

Note that the script posted above is hardcoded to the specific structure of Nathan’s machine. You’ll need to adjust the “set this_folder_properties …” statement to the desired destination on your machine, or tell Finder to open a file dialog and select a destination.

Good catch, korm. The same is true for the script from which I adapted it.

Hi,

I’m trying to rig up a version of this script. How do I adjust the “set this_folder_properties …” statement so that it saves to a folder on an external HD? Also, where would I save this script? To DTP’s Scripts folder? Somewhere else? Excuse my ignorance w/ AppleScripts…