Nested tags best practice

I am having some difficulty with nested tags on DTTG. I know there were some issues with the previous version which is now fixed with the update where the exclude from group was being selected.

What I would like to do is add a nested tag to a new item. Specifically if I want the article tag to be nested covid/treatment how can I tag this initially. If I type covid/treatment on DTTG it makes the tags as “covid/treatment.” I would have expected this to show up as “covid” with “treatment” nested similar to DTP.

When I manually go to the tag pane and make the covid tag, and then go and manually make the treatment tag I can then go back to the article. When I start to type my tag (aka covid) it will only list it as covid. If I tag “treatment” it will make a new first level tag as treatment. If I type “treatment” and use the suggested tag that shows up at “treatment” it will appropriately show as “covid” and “treatment” on info on DTTG, and on DTP shows up nested appropriately.

Questions:
-what is the expected behavior of nested tags and syntax to add? (If it requires going to the tag pane and making them individually this renders new nested tags as useless on the import to DTTG).
-is there a way to have the suggested tags that show up on DTTG shows the nested hierarchy (aka if I type treatment so it shows covid/treatment). If not my nested tagging doesn’t work if there is any other disease which I were to have a treatment tag.
-can nested tagging be added to tag import as a feature request (aka “covid/treatment” in the info screen should make a nested tag)

If I type covid/treatment on DTTG it makes the tags as “covid/treatment.” I would have expected this to show up as “covid” with “treatment” nested similar to DTP.

This is unsupported in DEVONthink To Go at this time.

Just add the treatment tag and it should inherit the parent covid tag.

What if I have multiple nested tags?

For example tags are
Covid/treatment
Vasculitis/treatment
Pneumonia/treatment
Etc

How on DTTG can I figure out which “treatment” for a nested tag?

We advise against redundancy in nested tags, as noted in the Getting Started > Tagging > Nested Tags section of the Help and manual.

We also addressed this in this blog post…