New Sente integration

Don’t forget the similarly afflicted Bookends people.
Thanks kindly,

Declan

congrats, Eric. great news.

As someone who still (after using it nearly daily for 6 months) understands only a few of DevonThink’s many features, I would love to see a webcast, or even a thoughtful forum posting, on Sente/DevonThink integration. Of course, many of us have been dreaming about deep integration, but I would love to see what is available for DevonThink and Sente as they now stand. (After the script is fixed, of course)

TIA

The Sente 6 smart template was broken due to a line of debugging code that I missed to remove. Sorry for that. Please try the attached new smart template to test if this works on all installations now.

Reference (from Sente 6).templatescriptd.zip (72.5 KB)

Eric –

It doesn’t work here, on my MBP w/ DTP 2.0.5 installed. The steps I did were:

1. I closed DTP.
  2. Downloaded your file (it came in php and I had to change to zip; probably a problem on my side) and extracted the template.
  3. Installed it on top of the previous one (located inside the package’s resources folder of DTP).
  4. Opened Sente 6 and DTP. Selected a reference in Sente and on DTP triggered the Sente template. Result: nothing happened. :frowning:

Did I do something wrong?

Yes, at this point the new template has not been installed. The scripts do not run from within the DEVONthink application. You can either;

a) copy the new script to the folder:
~:Library:Application Support:DEVONthink Pro 2:Templates.noindex:Education

or

b) re-run the DEVONthink Help menu>Install Add-Ons… command to install the script. The first option is perhaps the easiest.

EDITED TO ADD: Option b would only work if the new script has been copied to the application bundle as the OP mentioned. The preferred method, assuming one has just downloaded the script, would be to just go with Option a rather than messing with the application bundle.

After you do this you have to either restart DT, or click Data > New From Template > Update Templates Menu to ensure that the new/updated script is loaded.

However … the script is still broken in that the link back to Sente in the script-created annotation document is malformed and not recognized by Sente

This seems to be a problem with certain records in Sente. Can you, somehow, export this record and send it to me by email so that I can check?

Eric.

Thank you all for the explanation. It seems to work now with two exceptions:

1. I have the same problem reported by korm.
  2. For some reason, the Book (BK) references when imported to Sente always miss the author’s name. Jornals (JA) or Book Chapters (BC) have no problems.

Thanks for redoing the template. Unfortunately, I get an error message: The variable theVolume is not defined. Since DevonThink is the only app that declares itself able to open the template in the Open With menu, I’m not sure how to even start trying to troubleshoot. Any hints?

I guess we see here that I am not actually using Sente in everyday’s life. It worked with all records I have here but it seems many records simply don’t have the full data structure that the script is expecting.

I will check this next monday. If everyone who has problematic records could send me one (e.g. in a new database), by email, that would be very helpful.

Eric.

On further testing, I find that the link DT is creating is actually well formed, but Sente fails to parse the link correctly some percent of the time. Close the annotation document, restart Sente, then try again. Over here, that solved the problem.

For me, the annotation is now finally created fine but the link back to Sente is incomplete. When I edit the link in DTPO it just contains this

sente:/name_of_Sente_library/

```it is missing anything specifying what entry in that library is referenced here.

I have the same problems (can now create the template, but doesn’t link back). But thanks Eric for getting this much done!

Just installed the “download” Eric supplied. Template now works w/ Sente. Thank you! :smiley:

-bob