New Sync - Beta

I’m trying to understand how to “see”, activate, use the new beta sync…

i have searched in the forum for very long… please can someone give me a help? i can’t see anything!!! :frowning:

The Sync’s interface a Preference pane. Press Command-, and choose Sync (if it’s installed properly). It should be pretty self-explanatory from there (we hope).

thanks
i’ll try

but maybe I misunderstood: is this useful for Dropbox use?

or just for web server?

thanks

It is most definitely useful for DropBox as well as some other kinds of connections. (Nate, our intrepid Sync master, has done a great job on this.) Do bear in mind it is beta still (though stable) so I have to warn you about using it with mission critical work.

The Web Server is a separate plugin and should be checked out in it’s own right. (Alan, the lead programmer on the web interface, has done some awesome work on this.) Nicely, it allows someone who doesn’t have DEVONthink to access a DEVONthink database through their browser.

Have fun! 8^)

Thanks!

I’d like to try it, but i can’t see how to make the preference pane appear… :frowning:

I just followed the instructions, exactly as inside the zip file…

i have mountain lion 10.8.2

thanks and sorry…

No need to be sorry. It’s all good. 8^)

1. Make sure you have the latest release of the Sync plugin. Check the posts here: Beta DEVONthink.
  2. Quit DEVONthink Pro or Pro Office.
  3. In the Finder, press Command-Shift-G and paste this in: ~/Library/Application Support/DEVONthink Pro 2/Plugins.
  4. Unzip and drop the two files, Sync Preferences.prefpane and Sync.bundle, into this folder.
  5. Launch DEVONthink and check your preferences.

i see: “You are not authorised to read this forum.”

when i downloaded the beta 2 from the blog i found inside a zip file and unzipped it there was just a file: WebServer.bundle

That’s the WebServer plugin, not the Sync plugin.

yes i understood…

but if i try to go to the link you posted, i see this:
“You are not authorised to read this forum”

What should i do to download the sync stuff?
Is possible to have a link for it?

Thanks… :slight_smile:

FWIW, I see the same thing when trying to access the beta forum.

screengrab:
evernote.com/shard/s5/sh/03 … 9f67e2b4b2

My DEVONThink sync preference pane is broken as well.

I can see the Preference Pane for Sync, but clicking it doesn’t do anything. 10.8.2, DP Pro Office.

a screengrab of that:

evernote.com/shard/s5/sh/9c … 832f5b469b

The preference pane issue is because the sync plugin beta 1 is not 64-bit compatible. You’ll need to start DEVONthink in 32-bit mode (set in the Finder’s info pane).

My understanding is that the beta is not yet quite stable enough to release as public beta 2, but it should be available soon.

When I activate the Sync function in DEVONthinkPro, I have the following issues: 1) I am unable to set a specific sync time or uncheck “Manual”. 2) When I attempt to establish a Dropbox connection, DTP crashes, repeatedly. Then, upon restart, I get a message that the database is in use, although it clearly is not.

Please help.

After a crash, you will always get the “in use” message, because the databases were not properly closed after the last access. It’s advisable to immediately run Tools > Verify & Repair to check for possible damage.

At this point, my advice is to wait for public beta 2 of the Sync plugin, which will run in 64-bit mode and is improved. I can’t give a specific release date, but it shouldn’t be a long wait.

I am logged in to the forum, but I also get the “You are not authorized to read this forum” message when trying to follow the link to the newest beta of the Sync plugin.

I might already have the most recent one, from July 2012, v. 1.0pb1.

My problem is that Growl puts up a box every 7 seconds telling me that the lockfile has been updated. This can go on for hours. ln the past, I have sometimes got it to stop by quitting and restarting DTPO. Tools/Verify and Repair says no problems.

So far I just have DTPO on one computer, and have been running the sync plugin as a test.

You have the most recent public beta. Access for the private beta has to be requested and is under a NDA.