new user; love it already; but can't import OmniWeb bkmrks?

I’m running the trial DA 1.7 on OS X 10.3.9 and using (just recently) OmniWeb as my main browser. I’m devoted to it already and am about to purchase the DA/DTP package. Meanwhile, I’ve got a puzzling problem.

In DA, I have OmniWeb set in Preferences:Bookmarks.

When I first launched DA, I wasn’t paying attention to the bookmarks yet, but somewhere along the way it picked up the bookmarks from OmniWeb when I first started using OmniWeb, with a skeletal list of bookmarks. These OmniWeb bookmarks display in the menu and the bookmark drawer.

Since then, I’ve imported my huge set of bookmarks from Mozilla to OmniWeb, where they are working just fine, and started adding new bookmarks, also to OmniWeb. I want to import this new cache of bookmarks into DA.

However, all the File:Import menu items are grayed out (including, specifically, File:Import:OmniWeb Bookmarks), no matter how I’ve fiddled and diddled to see if there’s some mode/context in which the import will work.

Oops, my post got away from me before I was finished…

Anyway, am I missing something? Is this feature disabled in the trial version but will work okay when I register?

Thanks,
–Meredith

technology writer / UI consultant / genealogist

The “File>Import Bookmarks” command is for creating custom search sets. It will be grayed out unless you are editing a search set. If you are looking to add the OmniWeb bookmarks to the menu bar and the drawer, there is an tab in the preferences to set that option.

Thanks, Greg. If you look at the second paragraph in my original post, you’ll see:

However, the bookmarks never update. I still have only the original OmniWeb set of bookmarks. What do I need to kick in order to get the bookmarks to update in DA?

Thank you for explaining that File:Import Bookmarks is not what I’m looking for; since the bookmarks weren’t updating automatically, I started looking around for some way to help them along… Ya gotta admit that to a newbie, File:Import:OmniWeb Bookmarks sure looked like a reasonable candidate…

So, anyone, any idea what isn’t working for me? why don’t my OmniWeb bookmarks update in DA?

Thanks,
–Meredith

I’m not certain, but I think I remember changing the bookmarks pref to another browser, closing the preferences, reopening the prefs and selecting the original browser again (in your case OmniWeb) and closing the preferences again. This caused the bookmarks to refresh if I’m recalling correctly.

ChemBob

Thanks, Bob. That did it…

–Meredith