New Uses

I’ve searched the forum for information about using DTP with RSS feeds. Specifically, I’ve been collecting RSS feeds (saving them) in bloglines for some time. So, I may have an RSS feed (e.g. from the User Forum) with 20 separate saved messages. Say I have 96 RSS feeds I follow in Bloglines, many having saved entries. How can I us DTP to my advantage, say, to look for a topic I know that’s in there somewhere?

Additionally, I’m writing a book. How can I use DTP to write the book? I’m really unclear what the workflow looks like, how to set up a database, how to save things from the net to the database and other things. Say it is a book on digital tools with 12 chapters, each dealing with a different set of tools. How do I proceed?

I collect poems from various sources for my teaching. How can I annotate each of the individual poems with questions and my thinking?

I know this is a lot–and I have been struggling with this. I just can’t seem to get a handle on using the program well.

Any help, tips, examples or wisdom would be much appreciated.

@ skipolsen:

I can’t address all your questions though I’m sure others will jump in here!

I also can’t help thinking that with three separate questions/projects, you might be biting off more than you can chew with a new application. You might try tackling just one of these to begin with.

While I’m not writing a book, I do use DTPO for composing (as in setting up) a monthly magazine that gets posted to the web.

What I’d suggest is to create a database for your entire book, but restrict it to things relevant to your book. Create a bunch of folders for each chapter. as well as a folder or two for reference material, illustrations, user guides provided by manufacturers, anything germane to the goal of your book.

One tip regarding illustrations: Be sure the name reflects the chapter (and specific page, if possible). That will keep them better organized when you’re dropping them into your book.

During the composing process (the writing and laying out), you’ll find that DTPO is just the thing for moving things around, for keeping topics at hand, and generally making things easier.

Once you’ve gotten to the point of creating a volume (either by print or as a PDF), you can then either print each chapter as a discrete document or combine all together and print the entire book.

Keep us posted on how your projects evolve and how DTPO helps you. Good luck!

-Tod