I love the concept of DevonSphere Express, more than other Devon products. Unfortunately, at the moment, I find it’s utterly unusable.
Most of the time, the menubar item simply freezes when I click on it. Since the app doesn’t appear in the dock or the cmd-tab app-switching menu, the only other way to get to it is to launch it from Spotlight, which kind of defeats the purpose.
It consumes way too many resources. DevonSphere and Devonbot together use up > 1 GB of RAM. I have a recent MacBook Pro with 4GB of RAM. But I also have to use a lot of other apps pretty heavily to get things done – two browsers (with multiple tabs open in each, some of them displaying very large documents), a mail client with multiple IMAP account, a time-tracking app, a text editor, and sometimes a development environment, Address Book, Skype and more. Without the Devon processes running, it’s reasonably speedy. With them running, my machine slows to a crawl, negating any benefit from using DevonSphere Express. Yes, it’s worse when it’s indexing, but it’s always bad. (And yes, I’ve tried all the indexing settings: hourly, daily, automatic, manually.)
The few times I’ve tried to use it – eg, by dragging an indexed PDF document to the menubar item – it simply freezes. Maybe it’s trying to do something, but it’s soooo slow that it might as well have crashed. (We’re talking 5+ minutes of inactivity.)
Potential solutions include allowing users to set limits on memory usage, or providing settings so indexing only occurs after X minutes of inactivity (such as CrashPlan has). But until this is resolved, Devon apps are pretty much deadweight, or worse, in my workflow.