No tags

I’m running DTPO 2.3.5, and cannot seem to create any tags. I create an item in a folder, and in the Show Tags bar at the bottom it says “No Tags”.

The Tags folder is empty.

If I replicate an item to another folder, I still get “No Tags” at the bottom of everything.

What am I doing wrong?

Sounds link you have group tags turned off for this database-look to see if File>Database Properties>yourDatabase has ‘Exclude Groups From Tagging’ checked. If that is not the case, see if tags are turned off for those groups by selecting the group, Show Info (command-shift-i) and see if Exclude From: Tagging is checked.

You can also check to see if creating a normal tag works by typing a tag name in the tag bar.

That did it. Thank you

One more question. I notice now that Smart Groups do not show up as tags. Is there a reason for that?

You’ll need to give me a little more info-I don’t understand how smart groups could show up as tags?

Sorry, that was a little obtuse.

If I create an item in a regular group, the name of that group shows up as a Tag.

If I create a Smart Group to show me certain items that match certain criteria, the items that are collected by that Smart Group do not show the name of that Smart Group as among their Tags.

Correct, and that has always been the case. Documents have never shown the name(s) of smart groups as an assigned tag. Regular tags and groups tags are mostly static, only changing whenever the user (or a script initiated by the user) adds/removes tags and/or moves documents. Smart groups can be static (kind is: any document) but can also be very dynamic (date added is: today). DEVONthink updates the status of a smart group’s contents as needed, but does not actually change the tags of all the documents in the smart groups.

Thanks for the fast and full reply, Greg. I really appreciate it.

I wonder - and this might be a question for Bill or Jim - if there’s a reason NOT to add this capability - i.e., having a Smart Group assignment show up as a tag. Since some of my items are assigned to additional groups as replicants (and thus are tagged), and some via Smart Groups (and thus not tagged), it would be of benefit to me to have them all show up as Tags.

It’s probably a question best answered by Christian. I suspect that the CPU load would be excessive as DEVONthink constantly checked all the documents in all open databases to see if the tags matched all possible smart groups, and then adding/deleting tags as warranted.

You can attach a script to a smart group to write a tag to the documents in that smart group-this has been discussed in a thread here this week. However, once a document fell out of the smart group criteria, it would now be incorrectly tagged as belonging to that group.

“I suspect that the CPU load would be excessive as DEVONthink constantly checked all the documents in all open databases to see if the tags matched all possible smart groups, and then adding/deleting tags as warranted.”

That makes sense.

Thanks.

R.B.