Non-responsiveness when creating a webarchive from bookmarkl

Something that has been annoying me to various degrees is the unresponsiveness of DevonThink directly after using the “create webarchive” bookmarklet. Also, it would be nice if this could be done in the background without having to bring DevonThink to the front. Maybe this will go away with the new sorter?

Which browser are you using?

I’m using Safari 3.2.1 and Firefox 3.1.b2 on Leopard 10.5.6. I get the same un-clickable DevonThink Pro Office independant of which browser I use the bookmarklet from. It seems as if DevonThink is stuck until it has loaded the data required to create the webarchive.

If you are using DEVONthink 2, try the new Service to capture selected material from a Web page as WebArchive. The keyboard shortcut is Command-% (Shift-Command-5).

This Service is available to Cocoa browsers (e.g., Safari, DEVONagent, DEVONthink’s built-in browser) but not to Firefox.

Click on the Web page to be captured. To capture the entire page, press Command-A, followed by Command-%. Or one can capture only a selected portion of the page (a major improvement to WebArchive capture, IMHO, as I rarely wish to capture all the content of a page).

Unless the selected page is very large, I see no pause during the WebArchive capture on my ModBook (custom MacBook-based tablet, 4 GB RAM) when using the Command-% Service. It will be much faster than a bookmarklet capture of WebArchive from Firefox. If you see a perceptible pause during capture of a relatively small Web page using Command-%, it’s probably because you have run out of free RAM and data is being swapped between RAM and disk in order to complete the procedure.

The service menu seems a bit random to me, e.g. I am using Safari at the moment (3.2.1) but the “Capture Web Archive” Service menu item is grayed out for me. Why might this be? I have restarted my Mac several times since I installed DevonThink 2.

/jody

Jody, you must select all or a portion of the displayed Web page in order for the WebArchive Service to become available. Note that this works in Safari or other Cocoa-based browsers, but not in Firefox, which doesn’t recognize Services.

Thanks! I did not know that. The webarchive service menu works now; and very fast. Thanks for your help.

BTW, is there any way of forcing DevonThink to use the information stored in the webarchive rather then checking online for updates. I find that when I have a network connection, the webarchives try to load information of the web, whereas when I do not have a network connection, the webarchives seem to load information from the archive which is much faster.