Note with PDF?

When I scan receipts as PDF’s that are then entered into DT I would like to add a little string of type (or note) to “attach” to the PDF for my reference.
Is this possible in any way?
Thanks.

As we don’t have a full-blown Acrobat in here, this is only possible via comments. Enter them into the Info panel. They’re searchable, though.

Best,

Eric.

Thanks. That should work.

I have another question.
Is sychronizing to a folder essentially the same as having a “watched” folder? Meaning that if I sychronize an imported folder to a DT group, any additions I make to that folder outside DT should be automatically added to DT? If so, does it appear in DT immediately upon enetering the folder or do I have to do anything in DT to have it show up?

Thanks.

You have to select “File > Sychronize” to sync the folder to the group in DT. It doesn’t work automatically (yet).

Best,

Eric.

If you import the PDF’s text via either pdftotext/plain text, or TextLightning/rich text, then the captured text can be edited with your note. (I’m assuming that your scanned material is not image only, but goes through OCR during scanning.)

That’s another alternative to Eric’s suggestion of adding your note in the Info/Comment field. But if your PDFs of scanned material are image-only, Eric’s suggestion is definitely the way to go.

I’ve been very frustrated about exactly this issue, because I imported a fair number of files that I had marked up, only to find that the markup couldn’t be read. Sadly, I came to this realization only [color=red]after I had imported them all and thrown out the originals… :imp:

Fortunately, there’s a way to do it for anyone who owns Acrobat. Just putting in comments and saving won’t help you, as DT won’t display the comments (or notes or highlighting or whatever). But, if you go to File menu -> Print, and then in the print dialog select Output Options and click “Save as File,” Acrobat will save a second version of the file, complete with comments. If you want to save room and print only those pages with comments, do File menu -> Print with Comments instead. (Note that the obvious option, the “Save as PDF” button at the bottom of the print dialog, is disabled by Adobe, but using Output Options is not.)

We hope that Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger will brief some relief here as the new PDFKit allows commenting. But we don’t know yet if these comments will be Acrobat-compliant.

Best,

Eric.