Number of files and folder size different in Finder than in DTPO?

Hello all

Two questions if I may!

1. After many years of dipping in my toes I’m going the full hog with DTPO, and want to import all my research files, rather than index them. So I’ve just imported a folder of files into DTPO, and checked the relative file size of the folder and number of files between Finder and DTPO, expecting these to be the same (at least, number of files) – so that I can be sure I have imported all of it and before I delete my local copies. However there’s a large discrepancy: for the local files, Finder reports a folder of 10.06 GB with 1,581 items, whereas the same folder imported into DTPO apparently contains only 1359 items and takes up 9.4 GB of space. There is mixed content on there: many PDFs but also Word docs, rtfs, xls, etc.

Do Finder and DT calculate these figures in the same way? There are deeply nested folder structures within the main folder. Is there another way to check that the import is complete and I can delete local copies without worries (obv I will back them up for safety)?

1. What are the relative storage needs for indexed v imported files. Do indexed databases take up less space than imported databases?

Thanks v much! Sebastiaan

Yes, we calculate space the same way.

Check out DEVONthink’s Window > Log for things that may have failed the import.

Do indexed databases take up less space than imported databases?

The databases themselves will be smaller, but that doesn’t account for the space being taken up by the external files in the filesystem. So total space used on the machine will not be less, or only marginally so.

Thanks so much for your quick reply. I’ve just cleared the files and reimported the same again. Strangely I’m still looking at exactly the same number of files listed in DT as with the first import (which isn’t the same number or total size as Finder lists), but a spot check suggests all is there.

The log file lists two different issues: some ‘unknown file types’, and some PDFs with ‘no text’. But it seems these files were imported anyway (and all boxes are ticked for Import settings in DT prefs). I suppose if there were any files not imported for whatever reason, the log would tell me?

I suppose if there were any files not imported for whatever reason, the log would tell me?

Generally speaking, yes.

Hold the Option key and choose Help > Report Bug so we can take a look at the logs. Thanks!

Hi, I’ve experienced the same issue. I imported a research folder with over 1000 files. This resulted in a smaller number of items in DTPO than in finder and log reports only Unknown Format or No Text. I double-checked this manually on a small folder and found out that, in fact, Finder (File > Get Info) falsely reports the number of files(!). On the Info tab it reports “24.069.920 bytes (24,8 MB on disk) for 19 items”. DTPO shows 24,1 MB and 18 files. When I open the folder in the Finder there are only 18 items. (I tried with See Hidden Files, again, 18).
I wanted to share this as one doesn’t really expect to get the wrong info from Finder.