On iOS, how do you get emails into DT?

what if you rolled your own? send the email to an account that is received on your DEVONthink machine. Write some code to save the email and any attachments to the DEVONthink global inbox. then DEVONthink rules and AI takes over.

2 Likes

Yeah, that’s what I’m thinking, I just don’t know what direction is best yet.

Seems easy enough to set up a shortcut or Applescript to shift an email to where DT can see it. Of course, that would only run when my main machine is running, which might be ok.

But the really cool thing would be if I can use the old MBA I have and have something running all the time.

I havnen’t really looked at the server version, but I suspect it’s way overpowered for this exercise.

There’s a number of directions to go and the trick is just what is the simplest, most elegant one that minimizes failure points.

And if one of the devs on my team will help me out. :slight_smile:

Edit: Accidentally replied to the wrong post. My real reply went here: Syncing on iOS devices - #13 by Jmstovall. Apologies!

I use a Mac Mini running all the time; with a script to move selected emails to DT

To identify the emails, I move them to Apple Mail folder Devonthink

Not going to add a ton of value to this thread with this but - holy crap I had no idea this (the UX interaction on iPhone, the support in DTTG) was a thing and it’s amazing.

Like some of the others I’ve tried all the email apps and integrations and little did I know it just works natively.

Why you gotta love this forum!

3 Likes

Here is a quick screencast of it being done on the iPhone as noted by @eboehnisch

1. I tap and hold, then slightly drag the email.
  2. While still holding it, I swipe up lightly with my thumb to open the application switcher.
  3. Then I switch to DEVONthink To Go and drop the file in when I see the green addition cursor.
2 Likes

thanks. that is great and looks simple. Great leaning method. BUT requires an iOS device that allows it to work. No matter what I try cannot do this on an iPhone7 with up to date iOS.

Requires Split Screen, I believe. Correct?

No split screen was involved. Just the application switcher.

Ok. Try as I might, can’t seem to make it happen on my iPhone7. I acknowledge it’s old. But it works (but for this). No matter. I do the “hard” stuff on the Mac anyway! :wink:

As do I :slight_smile:

I was unable to imitate this process on the Apple Mail app on my iPhone 15 (with iOS 17.2.1). The email opens with a long press instead of lifting. Any advice? Is this action still possible in the newer iOS?

This could be an iOS hiccup. It happens in other apps too. Restarting the device should do the trick.

Indeed, Preside on mobile devices is the only app I have found which will export directly to DT.

The imported DT doc is plain text but what is interesting is that it contains a backlink to both the Preside and Mail.app email item. Really useful should the app go under.

It is not what one would call a pretty app - more down the other end of the pretty spectrum actually. But rock-solid. Takes a little while to set up but then so does MailMate.

Interesting. Perhaps that will be useful to some people on here.

Does Protonmail work with DEVONthink? Thank you

No, there is no specific support for Protonmail. It appears to have something they’re calling a bridge for Apple Mail, so it’s appears it’s technically possible to use a Protonmail account in Apple Mail, but that’s no different than using a Gmail account in Apple Mail.

1 Like

As far as I know Apple Mail doesn’t support printing from the app, but most other mail clients do. So most of the time I simply print to DevonThink / DTTG. No client specific format, but interchangeable pdf format.

I print from IOS Apple mails via the share button, picking “Print”.

And you can two finger swipe the print preview, at what ever zoom you pick, to create a PDF to save somewhere, including DEVONthink.

2 Likes

ProtonMail now has a native MacOS application. Did development look at it just yet? Any Plan to include it in DNT’s mail import possibilities (along Apple Mail and Outlook)?

Does the app support AppleScript including the possibility to access (selected) accounts, mailboxes & messages?