On-the-fly linking - best practice

I’m finally getting with the zeitgeist and going through about 15 years of clippings and notes to put them all in some relationship to each other. However, I’m finding the on-the-fly linking process carries a bit more friction than I would like for free association.

The wikilinks linking process is pleasingly low-friction, but it only picks up note names. Names seldom carry the nuance of the subject contained within the note. I’m also opting for the robustness of DT item links where possible.

But if I want to use DT’s deep searching capability, I have to shift the cursor to the search bar (keyboard), search (keyboard), select the note I want (mouse*), copy the item link (keyboard), esc from search (keyboard), and shift from the note I just found to the one I was working on (keyboard).

This is more footling around than I would like. I tend to lose the fragile thread of the thought that triggered the search by the time I’ve got the link into my document.

My ideal would be for something like the “Edit>Insert>Item Link” popover command, only with full within-note search capability.** (This command, like Wikilinks, only looks at file names.)

I’d appreciate any alternative guidance on a swift, low-friction method of pulling in links to a Markdown note.

*Can I get from the search bar to the results list without using the mouse? If so, I’m not finding it self-evident, although it probably is.

**This describes something like the late, sometimes lamented floating search window, which I liked but am not wedded to if a better alternative is available.

Why aren’t you dragging and dropping documents into the Markdown document? Just open the Markdown document in side-by-side windows, searching in one and dropping desired documents into the Markdown source.

1 Like

Sounds good, but:

*Dragging a doc from the search results lists to a MD doc in editing view just gives me an empty window carrying the words “no selection”.

*How do I get the Search results window in a side-by-side view? Results always appear in the default over-under view, which is fine but I’d prefer side-by-side.

*I’d still prefer something driven from the keyboard…

*Dragging a doc from the search results lists to a MD doc in editing view just gives me an empty window carrying the words “no selection”

Command-Option-drag

Results always appear in the default over-under view, which is fine but I’d prefer side-by-side.

You can show search results with any of the View > Preview options.

I’d still prefer something driven from the keyboard…

You’re not going to get anything faster from the keyboard.

*Dragging a doc from the search results lists to a MD doc in editing view just gives me an empty window carrying the words “no selection”

Command-Option-drag

That works.

Results always appear in the default over-under view, which is fine but I’d prefer side-by-side.

You can show search results with any of the **View > Preview_ options.

That works too.

I’d still prefer something driven from the keyboard…

You’re not going to get anything faster from the keyboard.

Probably not. That does the job nicely, and demonstrates again how little I’ve actually learned about Devonthink despite using it practically daily since 2003…

1 Like