Open Application Only

I often hit Quit without closing all my databases. Later, when I need some snippet from my inbox, I must wait while ALL of my recent databases load as DTP opens again.

Some kill switch would be nice that would open only the application and the Inbox… like an extra choice in the dock menu or holding down the command key or similar. We had a choice several versions back. The Close All Databases command is great but what if we forget to use it?

Maybe I just need some little script to remind me close all on quit? Any suggestions would be welcome.

It’s not yet possible to automatically execute scripts (e.g. to close all databases) on quit but it’s definitely planned for future releases.

This does one simple thing: Closes all the open databases (except the Global Inbox, of course) and quits DEVONthink.

1. Quit DEVONthink.

2. Decompress the attached file to yield an Applescript: Close ALL and Quit.

3. In the Finder, press Command-Shift-G and paste: ~/Library/Application Support/DEVONthink Pro 2/Scripts/Toolbar

4. Drop the Applescript into this Finder window and relaunch DEVONthink.

5. Right-click (Control-click) the Toolbar and choose Customize Toolbar. Scroll down and you’ll find the script. Drag and drop it where you’d like on the Toolbar.

Now, instead of File >Quit or Command-Q, press this icon and everything will close and DEVONthink will quit.

Note: This has not been tested if you are doing a Sync on database close (which I don’t). It is possible that Syncs like this could cause an Applescript timeout.

Note 2: You can change the icon of the Applescript to something more distinctive and DEVONthink will display it in the Toolbar.
ScriptWCustomIcon.jpg
Icon by Sean P: iconarchive.com/artist/gakuseisean.html - Not used commercially - not distributed - For display only
Close ALL and Quit.scpt.zip (1.14 KB)

Bluefrog, very nice and useful, thanks 8)

Thanks Bluefrog! Nice simple one-click solution! This will help a lot.

Here is a classy icon that suits this toolbar script for anyone interested.

iconarchive.com/show/crystal … -icon.html

How can DTPO be configured when it runs to open databases that were open when DTPO was last closed? I would find this useful. I can find nothing in Preferences.

Any database that is left open when DEVONthink closes will open on the next launch.

My experience is that one or more of the previously open databases may or may not open on the next launch, and more often, none of the previously open databases will open on the next launch. This behavior has been completely random through many versions of DTPO, on 10.6.8 and 10.8.x. When a database does open on DTPO’s next launch, its window size and position are not what they were when I closed DTPO.

I expect that you have some other issue(s) (file/disk corruption, etc.) at play here as what you are experiencing is certainly not typical/expected behavior.

@Shoolie: I agree with Greg and Jim. On my Macs with stable operating systems, I expect DEVONthink to open the set of databases that were last open on Quit, and that’s what does happen. There’s nothing random about this.