open web links in Safari not DEVONthink

It took me an hour now to figure out how to open links in a browser. Very unintuitive, bad labeling. I so expected Open Link to do the same as a normal click or Open Link in New Tab that I’d never thought it would be the Open in Browser functionality I was looking for. I was already considering giving up DT because of this.

I really think the internal browser view should be an option, not a default. I don’t want to use it at all. Having to use a context menu to get around it is something that constantly makes me think of stubborn programmers that want me to force into a behaviour THEY consider the best. A preference setting for switching off internal browsing would be the least i’d expect…

2 Likes

Totally agree. I’m not using DevonthinkPro as much as I used to due to the problems opening up links in an external browser.

I love the idea of a preference setting to switch off internal browsing.

If you click in the URL address field of DEVONthink’s internal browser as soon as the URL appears, the page will open in your default browser.

Thanks for the suggestion but not good enough Bill.

I’m not using Devonthink as much and dislike the company now for its non-user centric approach.

This should be a preference and until it is, Devontechnologies is interfering with my workflow.

I’m not a developer, but for more than 9 years have been a heavy user of DEVONthink for my own purposes.

Over time DEVONthink has evolved and has adopted many hundreds of user requests. But those that request a particular new Preferences setting are often not adopted. In this instance, if there were one to open Web documents (HTML or WebArchive) externally in a browser, I would turn it off.

Years ago I kept a checklist of specific requests for new options in Preferences. It had gotten up to several hundred. I’m sure it would have passed a thousand by now.Some of those requests emphasized that, unless the option were added, DEVONthink would be utterly useless.

Christian is resistant to adding options to Preferences unless the new item would be of major importance to many users/ The reason is simple: Preferences already contains enough options that they are confusing to some users, and the confusion would escalate exponentially with addition of many more options.

One of the attractions of DEVONthink is that one can peruse the contents of a group, a search result list or See Also suggestions without bopping around among multiple applications depending on the filetypes of documents. The emphasis is on the unity of information content rather than the differences of creator apps.

But of course, if one wishes to open any document outside the database, there are multiple ways to do that.

I maintain a database group that contains hundreds of bookmarks to Web pages that I find useful for various purposes, and that I would find unwieldy in my browser bookmark menu.

If, for example, I want to select a bookmark in my database such as a journal that I want to check out for new content downloads to DEVONthink, I’ll select it and tell DEVONthink (in one of several possible ways) that I really prefer working for the moment in my default browser - which is sometimes DEVONagent Pro, sometimes Safari, depending on what I want to do - and there I am in my default browser, with the page open.

But IMHO a preference setting that always opened a particular filetype outside the DEVONthink environment would be distracting, as it would disrupt the continuity of examining documents for their information content rather than the accidental property of filetype.

We already receive many queries to Support by users who set (and then forgot) an existing Preferences option, then ask how to stop a resulting behavior they don’t like. An option to always open a document filetype externally is the kind that would lead to many such requests about how to kill it.

The DEVONthink browser is just not an option for me; it doesn’t have clicktoflash, adblock, custom stylesheets, the web inspector or any of the many other things I’ve come to expect from my browser.

Yet for me and perhaps others who can’t stand it, taking several extra steps to open every link is unbearable. This one thing prevents DEVONthink from being my note taking tool of choice.

If you use it, I can understand how you don’t care about the current behavior. If OS X always opened Safari, I’m sure Safari users would say it’s a waste to add an option making Firefox the default browser. But every OS has this option for an important reason: opening links is done thousands of times a day so users develop strong preferences for how it should work.

That the DEVONthink devs don’t recognize this is a failure of their UI engineers.

1 Like

Hi Bill,

Your post seems to be one justifying the unjustifiable.

Akvadrako hits the nail on the head.

We’ve all bought Pro or Pro Office and have been shafted by the Devontechnologies.

How this is an advantage to us or Devontechnologies to anger its paid users so much is a mystery I can’t figure out.

Kudos to you Bill. Apparently you have.

Command + shift + O opens urls in your default browser, just like it opens any document in it’s external default app. Only a double-click would be faster.

In addition to this urls will be opened in your default browser when you:

• ctrl-click ->“launch url” (already mentioned here)
  • click on the url in the bar above the preview window (as Bill mentioned)
  • click the “open externally”-button in the toolbar (you have to add it to the toolbar first)

Though I understand why one might want to deactivate internal browsing, with all the various, simple and fast options to browse links externally, I fail to see a problem here.

Kind regards,
Bernd

What an asinine statement. No one has shafted you. DEVONthink has always opened Web links internally by default, and DEVONtech has never made any claims that it did otherwise, or would do otherwise in a future version of the program. Bill has shared why this is not a user-preference, and you are unwilling or unable to accept this. Get over it already.

Greg, I’m not over it and not getting over it until DevonTechnologies participates like a good member of the Apple community and respects our choice of default browser.

There’s enough solid arguments above about why this is important that the last thing this thread needs is a blowhard breezing in to tell us to lump it or leave it.

I wish you the day you deserve.

Hi Bernd,

Thanks for summarising all of the awkward workarounds to try to use DevonThink usefully to open up links in one’s browser of choice. There are some I didn’t know about.

Nevertheless, I don’t think holding down command-shift is particularly comfortable or convenient. I would like a simple preference to disable internal browsing.

It’s really not that hard to do and would help a lot of people.

Of course, if DevonTechnologies doesn’t really care about their paying users’ comfort they can continue to just ignore all of our discomfort.

And for you, as well. :slight_smile:

As one of the seniors here (I’ll be 80 in December) i’ll observe that this forum has a history of lively but civil discussions and of mutual helpfulness.

You hold the opinion that an app’s UI should honor your designation of the browser of your choice. That’s legitimate as far as it goes.

But DEVONthink provides a user interface for viewing documents that unifies the presentation of the information within a group, search result set or See Also list within the database environment, without making the user jump about among multiple applications. In, e.g., the Three Panes view one can select and read documents of various filetypes, including HTML and WebArchive documents as well as rich text, PDF and other filetypes.

The purpose of the little Web viewer in DEVONthink is not to compete with full-fledged browsers like Safari, but to facilitate unity of presentation of information within the DEVONthink environment.

You seem to be arguing that it’s wrong for DEVONthink to display Web pages by default in the Three Panes view, and you criticize DEVONtechnologies and other users for not acceding to your position.

I don’t agree with that position. But I don’t feel it necessary to disparage or demean you because I don’t agree with you.

Really? You don’t write like your a day over 65. Who knew? :slight_smile:

Tom S.

Yes Bill but you’re not some bottom-feeding SEO marketing ----. Reading through this guy’s messages on the forum so far he acts like someone who has had PMS for years. Are you ever in a good mood? If you hate DTPO that much, I’m sure Evernote or Together would be thrilled to have you as a loyal customer or something.

You might be older then ronsard Bill, but if you looked up cranky old man in the dictionary, he’s the one who’s pic would be there. We get it, you are having a bad life, please feel free not to share.

I happen to agree with your issue, it’s your whole personality that makes me ignore everything you have to say.

Gentlemen,

I work very hard at work. I am not in retirement or semi-retirement. DevonTechnologies managed to sell me a work tool which included links opening in my browser of choice.

Then they decided to throw the kitchen sink into DevontThink, which has come close to making the application a useless clumsy piece of Microtrash.

When I bought into this model, DevonThink was supposed to be a place to collect notes/research, not supposed to be an alternative interface to my computer.

Ask your buddies at DevonTechnologies to go back to making useful software which helps users instead of bloating what was a very good notes program.

The mutual admiration society can go on without me thanks.

I want my worktools back.

In the meantime, Mike, if you can talk DevonTechnologies into refunding the $250 I’ve spent on their tools in the last seven years, I’d be happy to part ways.

Making the web work for you, Alec

PS. If Christian ever gets around to reading this, I never recommend DevonThink to any clients, friends, colleagues or employees specifically on account of the internal browser issue. That’s ten lost sales at least (plus follow on from them). DevonThink has become overly complex bloatware which is difficult to recommend.

i still can’t see how setting a default browser would be a confusing preference for anyone. it’s such a standard setting, i wonder if it might be illegal to not integrate it :wink:

DEVONthink does recognize the setting of the default browser on a computer, and provides options to enable the user to open a URL link, an HTML or WebArchive in that default browser.

Likewise, DEVONthink recognizes the ‘parent’ application set for document filetypes in the Finder, and provides the user options to open a document under its parent application.

But DEVONthink’s UI presented to the user in database views, document windows, tabs, See Also lists and search results emphasizes presentation of the text content of documents in the database environment regardless of the document filetype. In DEVONthink’s environment, it’s the text content - the information content - that’s paramount and not the document filetype. When I browse through a list of search results, or the contents of a group, It’s the information content that’s important, not the accidental characteristic of the creating application - so I can see that content regardless of whether the selected document is an RTF, HTML, PDF, Word, Pages, Excel or other filetype.

Fairly often, a user requests that double-clicking a document in a group or other view should open that document under its parent application. What’s wrong with that?

In DEVONthink, a double-click opens the document in its own window within the DEVONthink environment. In that environment there are tools available, such as See Also (and many others) that would not be available were the document being viewed outside of DEVONthink.

When I’m doing research, I’ll often open a document in its own window and choose See Also. That provides a list of other documents, some of which may be conceptually related in interesting ways. I can choose to open in new tabs items from the See Also list and “collect” the useful ones as tabs in that document window. Those collected related items may well be of various filetypes including HTML and others. I find this enormously useful, and it wouldn’t be available if the open document and/or if items in the See Also list were outside the DEVONthink environment, as would be the case if HTML documents (or Word, or others) opened in the default browser or other parent app, outside DEVONthink.

So that’s why the default behavior of opening documents in DEVONthink, whether by a single or double click, is to open the documents within the DEVONthink environment and not outside it. I think this is the behavior the vast majority of users do in fact prefer.

Yes, it would be possible to add options to Preferences to alter that behavior, so that an option could be set to always open HTML documents in the default browser, rather than in DEVONthink. What’s wrong with that?

First, users who select that option may not even realize the lessening of the utility of HTML documents within their database - which would be a shame. For example, See Also wouldn’t be available to look for contextually related documents, if the page is viewed in the default browser.

I handle a lot of the Support queries about DEVONtechnologies applications. Hardly a day goes by when at least one user reports an issue that’s actually the result of changing an option in Preferences, which has been done and then forgotten. That’s part of Christian’s reluctance to add the many, many requests for special-purpose options that have been proposed. The more options, the more complications and user confusion.

Of course, I often do choose to open a Web link or page in an external browser, or to open an Excel spreadsheet under Excel. The facilities to do that are there in the Toolbar (when customized) and in contextual menu options as well as under the Data menu.

The reason I bought DTP was that I wanted to sync my notes to my iPhone ( :imp: so far i lost all notes i tried to sync back to computer, but that a different story). I was using iNotepad for many years, and i loved it for it’s simplicity. All my notes (about 1300) are RTF or RTFD files, no exceptions. A link in a RTF document opens webpages in the default browser, like it would if i’d open it in TextEdit. I see that DTP is capable in many ways, but i don’t really need any of this. I’m not interested in See Also lists or in any other fancy search functions smarter than Spotlight. Getting rid of the Sorter was the first thing I did after importing my data (also not easy to figure out how to achieve this). I like tags and being able to set a password, but I hate the internal browser view as much as the Adobe Acrobat browser plugin. One wrong click costs me ages to get back and do it in the way DT wants me to do it. I know now that i shouldn’t hope for any support from DT and will continue my search for a decent note keeping app elsewhere…

My copy of keyboard maestro is one of the most brilliant things I have on my mac. In any event, after reading this thread, I flipped over to it and in two minutes set up a macro that me open DT links in an external browser just by ctrl-clicking on them. I suppose if you used a scroll mouse you could set the macro to run by middle-button clicking, if using the control button is too arduous.

Of course my method means paying 40 bucks for another piece of software, but I’ve also set up macros do pretty a few dozen pretty cool things that normally require futzing with menus and context menus, neither of which I care for.

Anyway, I have no connection with the company, just a happy user of the product. And Jeez, lighten up, Captain Angry.

Hi Bill,

That’s a really long excuse for not making available a simple preference to allow links to open in an external browser.

Did it every occur to you that Christian might be wrong sometimes? Specifically in this case, very wrong.

Why don’t you ask him to add a simple checkbox or even a hidden preference enabled over the command line so you don’t have to spend so much time making excuses for DEVONthink and we pro owners can go back to enjoying a pro application instead of some kind of iPhoto walled garden.

Thanks for your serious attention to this matter.

Making the web work for you, Alec Kinnear