Opening files with their respective program

What on earth is all this palaver about? You want to open a file in its native application? Command-shift-O. QED.

Ahh, a new word in my vocabulary that’s likely to be remembered/reused. :slight_smile:

I see we haven’t been following the thread. Some want to open applications with specific programs. So, rtf using WriteRoom, where this might not be the native program set for it in finder.

Anyhow, it solved my problem because I just set WriteRoom as the default program for rtf and I can easily use the script above to set Word and Bean to open them if I need to.

Hello,

I have benefited from this discussion before (by getting information about the shortcut to open files in their respective programs (shift -CMD- O)

But now I have a new question and rather than start a new topic I will put the question here.

I want to open a Word .doc with Mellel but I don’t see this option in the “open with…” option under “DATA” and there is no option to choose the program I want (and in this case I want to choose Mellel).

How can I have more options in the “open with…” section? How can I open a .doc with Mellel?

Thanks,

devananda

DEVONthink gives you the same ‘Open WIth’ choices to open the document that the Finder does in its Get Info window. However, unlike the Finder, DEVONthink does not give you the option to pick another application using ‘Other…’ A couple of options that come to mind is to drag the document from the DEVONthink window to Mellel’s icon in the Dock, or set Mellel in the Finder to be the default application to open all .doc(x) documents.