Option to reveal annotation file in new window

It would be great if “reveal” button switch to “Reveal in new window” when pressing Option key in here.

Screen Shot 2021-09-04 at 15-32-17

1 Like

You might want to check out this script by @mhucka:

1 Like

No promises, but the suggestion is noted.

3 Likes

“Reveal” is grayed out for me…what might be the cause of this?

Do you have an annotation file displaying in the Inspector?

I was viewing an annotation file directly, not the annotated pdf. I get it now, my bad.

No worries. That’s what we’re here for. :smiley:

[Edit: Sorry, I subsequently realised that post I was replying to was part of the 2021 phase of the thread, rather than its revival today. @Amontillado has now explained the same tip better.]

Note that this was a script for opening rather than revealing an annotation file in a new window, though that’s if anything even more useful. But the script is no longer necessary, as this functionality is now built in via the invaluable Command-Option-Control-O shortcut that was trailed by @cgrunenberg in that thread as an upcoming feature, and subsequently implemented. If you then want to Reveal the file, just follow up with the usual Command-R.

1 Like

I may not understand the need, but I’ve just started making more use of annotations.

If the inspector is open to the second tab, the conversation bubble icon, if you see an annotation you can use control-option-command-O (or the Annotations drop-down menu in the Inspector) to open the annotation in a separate window.

At that point, you can use command-R to reveal it in the group/document list.

If you want to delete the annotation, it’s best to use the Remove command on the Annotations pull down menu.

Does that help?

Sorry, I just saw your message. Thanks for the suggestion, but it looks like the awesome developers at DEVONthink have already implemented my idea!

1 Like