Order of annotations in inspector and summary

Hi everybody,

When I annotate PDFs in which text is organized in columns — for example, a left column and a right column — in the inspector the annotations are listed in a top–down order irrespective of whether annotations are to text in the left column or the right column. As a result, an annotation to text that is at the top of the right column will appear in the inspector above (i.e. before) an annotation to text that is at the bottom of the left column. That behavior is preserved in the annotation summary produced through Tools > Summarize Annotations. Is that the desired behavior or is there a setting I have to change to have annotations listed in the “correct” order (e.g., first top–down for the left column and then top–down in the right column)? Thank you for your consideration.

Best regards,
Enrico

The columns don’t exist in the document. It is smoke and mirrors to make the appearance but the underlying code and text is structured in whatever way the PDF was constructed by the PDF producer.

Thank you for the prompt clarification.

Best regards,
Enrico

You’re welcome. If you use Data > Convert > To Plain Text, you can see what the text layer looks like.

That’s very helpful! I didn’t know or think I could do that… Thank you very much again!

Best regards,
Enrico

My pleasure. :slight_smile:
Check out this blog post…

Thank you very much for pointing me to that: very informative. I have to admit I’ve never followed the Devonian Times blog, but thanks to your link I’ve noticed there’s a lot of other very helpful posts in it, so thanks also for that!

Best regards,
Enrico

Not only because I handle documentation and also blog (amongst my other chores :smiley: ), but our applications are very well documented with resources in more than one place.

PS: On the blog’s front page, check out the tags list on the right side where you can filter the posts.
Also, check out the Categories. That’s where you’ll find the Tuesday Tips. And yes, there are years of them available.

3 Likes

Thank you very much for your additional help! From now on, in addition to this site, I will certainly leverage blog and tutorials. Thanks again and have a great weekend!

Best regards,
Enrico

1 Like