PDF Web Clipper does not work

I can no longer save web pages from Safari by converting them to pdf. I always find bookmarks in Devonthink

Do you use DEVONthink 3.8?

No, and i don’t understand where is the dowload link. Can you give me it please?

Menu DEVONthink 3 > Check for Updates

1 Like

i am so stupid

Not at all.

Sometimes the things right in front of you are the hardest to see.
And sometimes you don’t know where to look.

Neither are stupid.
:slight_smile:

No, no, I am such a stupid man and the whole world must know it by buying this wonderful software and attending this forum. (and you are fine, you are quoting me the “The Purloined Letter”, Edgar Allan Poe, The Purloined Letter - Wikipedia)

I have a similar problem. When I try to use the Web clipper in Firefox to capture a webpage as a PDF, it occasionally captures a bookmark instead. If I try again, it downloads a PDF.

I don’t think this happens in Safari.

I’m using DEVONthinkPro 3.8.7

Did you use the Firefox extension? What’s the URL of the page?

occasionally can be caused by a slow server response, temporary drop in WiFi connection, etc.

Aha! That makes sense, and would explain why it works on the second try.

Here are a couple of URLs where capturing a PDF failed:

Which version of macOS and of DEVONthink do you use? In addition, how do you activate the Sorter? On your own, by sharing or via the browser extension?

macOS Ventura 13.2, Firefox 109.0.1, DEVONthink Pro 3.8.7.

I always use the browser extension to activate the Sorter.

And is DEVONthink allowed to automate Firefox?

Hmm…how would I determine that? I don’t remember giving it explicit permission to automate Firefox, but I don’t think I ever denied it permission.

A tech note: If you denied permission to automate, the operating system won’t ask again.

Note the Firefox team makes changes in their app that can affect extensions.

Also, open the Web Clip pane in the Sorter and tap the Firefox icon. Does it load the URL and info as expected?

Aha! I clicked the Firefox icon in the Web Clip pane and was asked to enable Accessibility for DevonThink in System Settings. I saw that the setting was OFF for DEVONthink, so I turned it on.
Then I tried to clip the webpage again, and I was told that Firefox didn’t have permission.
I remembered that most of those System permissions required quitting the program and restarting it, so I did that.

Now Firefox seems to clip webpages as PDFs reliably. But as I said, the problem I had seen was intermittent, so time will tell.

Thanks for the help!

1 Like