periodically-running agents

I use applescripts attached to smart folders to automatically exclude from classification and see also some types of files. This works very well, except for one thing: the scripts get executed when I click on the group itself.

Can anybody suggest some neat way of having the smart groups “evaluated” automatically, say, every hour? I’ve thought of scripting the UI and scheduling that, but there must be a less heavy-handed way…

Thanks.

Well, you can “search” and “classify” and “compare” via scripts, and there are a zillion ways to trigger a script on a periodic basis. I’d certainly start there…

Thanks for the reply. Yes, that would work, but I would like to also have the results in a smart folder.

Having said that, I guess the easiest way would be to just run the script which does the job, as you say, and when it’s done have it create a smart group… Not much point in taking the long way around like I am doing now!

Isn’t Keyboard Maestro cool! It can run an applescript every n minutes while X application is active. Brilliant! Problem solved; thanks, Charles.

Oh, right. It didn’t occur to me that you could just trigger your scripts instead of attaching them to the folder…