Personal wiki/VoodooPad/Non-locally stored information

Zim is a desktop wiki that is a little thin but still quite useful in the Windows environment. It does purport to be installable and operable under Mac OS X, with the installation of Python dependencies as detailed here: zim-wiki.org/install.html. Too intense for the casual user but it apparently can be done.

About Curio, I’m using the standard version (only one “idea space”: basically an “infinite” blank page where you can throw in everything).
I use it to create visual boards with materials that I archived and organized in devonthink.

In my opinion, one thing that could be a great addition to devonthink indeed, would be adding a more visually oriented way to display contents.
For example just adding the option to move icons freely without having them stick to the grid (as you can do in finder) could be a way to help with that.

ConnectedText has not been updated in the last two years. Are you now using any similar app in Windows?

A bit late to the party, but I would like to echo that sentiment. Even though DT has a lot of different views, none of them really seems all that inviting.

It’s also worth mentioning that VoodooPad has been sold to Primate Labs, of Geekbench fame. No way of knowing what they’ll do with VoodooPad, of course, but I’m inclined to maintain my faith in it, because, in my view, even after the lack of development in recent years, it is still really good software. And the Geekbench people obviously know how to code.
http://www.voodoopad.com/

Voodoopad 6 is in preview.

Just downloaded it. Seems a total overhaul. Now if I could index my wiki’s in devonthink that would be perfect.

To me it still seems a bit far from a finished product though.

1 Like

I don’t see any particular advantage it offers. :thinking:

You could use Obsidian as a wiki and index into Devonthink. Works like a charm.

Would be interested in hearing more about your experiences with this approach. Do you rely on Obsidian, DT, or both for internal links?

Both tools support markdown style wikilins. So any wikilinks which you created in either, will also work in the other tool.
My current approach is that I have one dedicated DB in DT for my notes which is leveraging wiki styles links extensively. This folder lives in dropbox and is indexed into DT. Through that I can also work with it in Obsidian which offers backlinks and graphical visualisation, as well as with 1writer on IOS which recognises wikilinks inside one folder as well.
I hope this is helpful.