Pinwheel on DT3 moving large groups

On DT3 if I try to move or copy a group with a large number of items (about 300,000 in my current example) I get a pinwheel which can persist for hours until I give up and Force Quit the application.

If I move small numbers of items, the pinwheel eventually ends with the task completed properly.

I suspect even the huge move would work if I were patient enough. It raises the questions of:

(1) Should it really take hours to do such a move? In this case the Move is of about 300,000 RSS entries which are fairly short. Should that take hour? This is on a current model iMac with 40 Gigabytes of RAM.

(2) Regardless of how much time it takes, why not have some sort of progress indicator to confirm it is working and give an ETA to completion?

FWIW the Activity Monitor shows that Devonthink 3 has maxed out my CPU at 100%. Yet there is no memory pressure at all - so it is an algorithm issue, not a RAM issue.

You talk about RAM, but how full is the hard drive?

The hard drive is a 1TB Fusion Drive with 600 GB free.

Could you please launch Apple’s Activity Monitor application (see Applications > Utilities), choose the frozen DEVONthink the list of processes, select the menu item View > Sample Process and send the result to cgrunenberg - at - devon-technologies.com? Thanks in advance!

Done -thanks

No sample here yet. Did you send it to my email address or to support?

To your email address

Nothing yet. Could you please send it again? Thank you!

300,000 RSS entries which are fairly short.

There is more data about records than the text content visible to the user. 300,000 items is a large number to be moving at once.

Actually the issue isn’t caused by the database, the index or file operations - it’s a somewhat unexpected bottleneck of the handling of the new background tasks :slight_smile: But the next beta should fix this.

great - much appreciated