Plain text notes not displaying in DTTG

If i had more information I could share, I would.
However, at this time, I do not.

Wow. Thank you for all the time and effort for this.

1 Like

No problem. Well … To be honest after posting it I discovered that there is a problem. I missed to take care of double spaces at the end of each line - which means the *.txt record’s linebreaks aren’t preserved during the “conversion” (which isn’t a real conversion but a quick “guess” of what needs to be considered … obviously it was a bit toooo quick …). Going on with being honest (I’m always honest!) I’m afraid I’m not able to solve this right now (tried already but failed, maybe due to beer …). Could someone who’s more familiar with regex please help here? @Chrillek?

Really, sorry. Tried and failed again. This is no regex time over here

What do you want to do with the line ending in two spaces?
The RE would be / \n/, I guess, ie two spaces followed by a newline.

TOOO LATE :wink: Regex isn’t needed at all (but it’s a hacky “solution” as it just looks for linebreaks, i.e. simply ignore whether a line already ends with one or more spaces - just add two spaces in every case). Thanks!

Edit:

Two spaces are needed in MultiMarkdown to preserve the *.txt record’s linebreaks (without them (and assuming there’s no blank line in between) everything would end up on one line). Thanks again!

Edit 2:

This is MAGIC —> AppleScript's text item delimiters

Kinda. I prefer txt.split(/RE/), but you probably knew that :wink:

1 Like

@Blanc look at this! He has only used TWO :flushed:

2 Likes

Sustainability! Wir haben die Klammern von unseren Kindern nur geliehen.

2 Likes

:face_with_monocle:

1 Like

It’s been one hell of a day in one hell of a week embedded in one hell of a year. You guys make me laugh :joy:

2 Likes

IMHO this is the worst bug I’ve experienced since I started using DT. I hope somebody has moved into the lab until a fix is ready. Frankly, you should have backed out the change.

Not good.

I have to admit that this one is a bit of a mystery to me. I’m surprised this bug occurred, and equally surprised it isn’t easy to fix. I am, however, also completely ignorant of how any of this works at all, so my surprise is maybe not so surprising. I support DEVONtech in not reporting development timeframes - in the case of a specific and relevant bug, however, I’m not so sure.

Bugs do occur (following a recent update, a multi-million (denomination of your choice) piece of software I use on a professional basis simply stopped displaying critical alerts; it wasn’t even obvious it had happened and it was days until it was rectified. As a user I was never informed that the bug had even occurred, not to mention what was going to be done about it in which timeframe); I find DT pretty open about things that have gone wrong (the second post in this thread simply says “yeah, that was us”), and the one time I have seen things go wrong badly, DT staff not only kept users posted, but also interacted with users both on the forum and directly, trying (successfully) to figure things out. So, I’m not going to let off praising DEVONtech.

But in this specific case, I think an update (what went wrong, what are we doing about it) might be in order.

5 Likes

This is very disappointing. After a week, my patience and understanding asked for is pretty much exhausted, not helped by having no apology or explanation. It is nothing to do with ‘development timeframes’. It’s a major bug and should be managed as such from a communications point of view.

3 Likes

The issue, which was a side effect of fixing white flashes when switching between documents in dark mode, was indeed relatively easy to fix and version 3.2.4 is already waiting for Apple’s review. We just never declare a secured landing before we have the field in sight.

5 Likes

…and it’s available in the App Store :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi,

Thanks for the fix, it seems to work perfectly.

As a developer I can appreciate that sometimes things aren’t so straightforward to fix, and that other constraints that users can’t see can impede matters.

As I only use DTTG as a companion app and not mission critical it’s only been an inconvenience to myself.

However, it’s clear that people have differing use cases, and some do rely upon it far more, who have been subjected to greater anxiety due to the little information provided.

A little more communication could go a long way to easing the frustration and anxiety some of your users experienced.

Maybe you could look into developing some procedures to help ease / prevent those anxieties?

Best Regards

Adam

1 Like

Thank you DT, everything is working as it should now.
It’s a big relief for me.

You’re welcome.