Please warn new user

I purchased / download Devonthink Pro and then opened the dmg file.
Caused me a real shock - my 1TB drive went down from 500mB available to 50!

I’m still trying to work out why and how to straighten everything out!

TerryB

sounds like the down load corrupted?

Thanks,
Hmmm- so should I just uninstall and delete all the file copies it made then reinstall?

Welcome @TerryB

You only have 500MB available on your 1TB drive? That is definitely a problematic situation. You should allow a bare minimum of 5% of your drive space available (and 10% is a better minimum). That would be 5 - 10GB.

delete all the file copies it made then reinstall?

Please clarify what you’re referring to here.

It left me with 50MB! And as you say - VERY problematic. It appears that DT COPIED every file on Drive 1 on my (late 2012, server) mini and then proceeded to do the same with connected and networked drive before eventually punting. Bit disturbing!

TerryB

You said you started off with 500MB. That is also problematic and something you should look into.

There is something missing in what you’re reporting here.

• Opening the disk image from our site will not copy anything.
  • Even dropping DEVONthink into the /Applications directory and opening it will not copy anything.

Please clarify what steps you specifically took.

Just ran TidyUP on that drive and it does NOT appear to be file copies - so WHAT is taking up 500MB of space!??
TerryB

The ABBY OCR package?

1 Like

Yes, that would do it. Good call, @pete31

2 Likes

Ouch! The story so far - I d/ld DT3 zip and doubled clicked the dmg file extracted from the zip.
It started doing whatever it does without me doing anything further until it started giving me log errors concerning files that l knew to be on a n/w drive, before it stopped with “low space” warnings.
Now, since then I have deleted the databases concerned with the movies, music, TV shows on the n/w drives.
these showed up as occupying a similar amount of drive space but, after deletion, the actual space occupied according to Disk Utility has eventually reduced (took some time!) and I am back at 465 GB available.
TerryB

That has me confused. I have the ABBY package separately but haven’t actually run tests with it yet, hoping that DT Pro would suffice. Are you saying that the ABBY package within DTPro take up that much space? Please not!

TerryB

Were you running the trial of DEVONthink 3 beforehand with databases open?
DEVONthink doesn’t open any databases without user interaction unless databases were open when DEVONthink was last quit.

I have the ABBY package separately but haven’t actually run tests with it yet, hoping that DT Pro would suffice. Are you saying that the ABBY package within DTPro take up that much space? Please not!

Yes, the OCR package from ABBYY for DEVONthink is large.

(Memory probs at my age…) I did have a look at DT some months back. Is the suggestion that I may have left open databases from that? Probable I would guess?
So - am I going to have enough space to run the OCR in DT Pro or should I just cut and run?

If you now have 465GB available, you have plenty of space to run OCR inside DEVONthink Pro/Server.

Thanks for that encouragement: I’m left wondering WHY this occurred in the first place - why would DT try to copy my movie etc files to local disk?

Any way - thanks,
TerryB

You’re welcome.

It’s hard to say as it sounds like abnormal behavior outside of a choice you made or a process like a folder action or smart rule triggering. I’d have to say it’s the only report I can’t think of offhand.

My bet is that @TerryB might have accidentally imported one of the higher-level folders on disk into DEVONthink, duplicating the files (one copy on-disk and another imported into a DEVONthink database).

3 Likes

Thank you Ryan; my own conclusions but scanning through my recollection i don’t recall that, but it must be what happened. hanks again to all - I’m getting to grips with it all now and I’m most impressed by the OCR.
cheers, TerryB

1 Like