PNG pictures not saved to RTF through Add to Devonthink exte

Hi,

when I clip an article through either Chrome or Safari (Clip or Add to Devonthink extension), pictures with .png extensions are not copied into the RTF file in Devonthink Pro so I have to copy the pictures hand-by-hand. .jpg files are copied automatically though. I had no success in finding a solution in the forum. Can you help?

Thanks

Laszlo Kiss

I am able to clip the Wikipedia page about .png with the Safari DEVONthink clipper extension in .rtf, .webarchive, .pdf, and Formatted Note formats without losing any of the .pngs displayed on that page

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Portable_Network_Graphics

Could you try that page and see if you have success? Are the specific web pages you’re unable to clip with .pngs intact?

(Web page clipping to RTF is almost always with less than excellent results because of what RTF is – frequently clipping to another format (like Formatted Note) is better, and you can always convert those other formats to RTF later if you want. Formatted Notes can be edited, if that’s what you’re aiming to do.)

Hi,

I managed to clip the article through Chrome and Safari with identical results. Only some of the png files were copied…

So, any ideas? DTPO should be able to clip both png or jpg…

Could you provide some URLs?

If you are attempting to capture as RTF/RTF(D) files, using Chrome or Firefox is a bummer.

My favorite capture mode from Web pages is to restrict the capture to only the information I want, eliminating irrelevant information – I usually don’t want to capture the full page, if it contains text or images that are not important to the article or excerpt I’m interested in. By doing so, file bloat is reduced, and more importantly, the precision of searches and See Also is often vastly improved.

The appropriate area of the Web page is selected, then I invoke keyboard shortcut for the Service command of DEVONthink to capture as a rich text note, Command-).

This OS X Service command works to create a rich text document in Safari, DEVONthink’s browser and in DEVONagent Pro. It does not work properly in Chrome or Firefox, because of limitations in those browsers.

An advantage of using Safari (in addition to its speed) is that the Reader button in the URL address area will usually select the primary content of a Web page automatically, such as the desired article to be captured. Then press Command-A to select that display and Command-) to capture is as rich text.

Often, even the Reader selection will include images that are “fluff” and aren’t important additions to the information I want to capture. In those cases, I’ll switch to the document in DEVONthink and edit it to delete such images.

Very often the result is that the files captured to DEVONthink are 1, 2, 3 or more orders of magnitude smaller than they would be if I had captured the full Web page as WebArchive or PDF. I get HUGE savings in disk space and database file size. And I’ve avoided lots of false positives in searches and See Also suggestions, by elimination of irrelevant text.

Quick follow-up question from a filetype dummy: when I clip selections from an article, in Chrome, to save to Evernote or MS OneNote, using the respective Chrome extensions, I get a saved snippet that retains embedded URLs, so I know it’s not plain text. What keeps that method from working when clipping from Chrome into DTPO?

How are you clipping to DEVONthink in Chrome?

PS: There is no “clipping standard” technology. Each of us has to roll their own solutions to these problems.

Ah, figured it out!

I initially was saving by 1) selecting the text and then either 2a) right-clicking for Services > Save to Sorter Inbox, or 2b) cut-and-paste directly to Sorter Inbox. Both gave me a plain-text file.

But just now I tried (after selecting my text) going up to the OSX menubar, clicking Scripts > DevonThink Pro > Copy Selection, and the text appeared in DTPO as an HTML snippet, complete with embedded URLs (which is what I was trying to capture), so … got it, thank you!

Glad you got it worked out. Cheers!