Poll: Do you use the web server?

I don’t use the webserver, although I’d REALLY like to, because the security is too blunt. I would really prefer to have a password per database, or even per group, rather than one password that enables everyone to see all my files.

The facility to open a database over a local network from >1 machine installed with DT would be extraordinarily useful. I’d centralise our data at home on my machine so there are never duplicates (and also benefit from my second HD with Time Machine backup). Alternatively, the facility to synchronise >1 copy of a database would be a viable alternative. I’m guessing though that either of these might be against the grain of how the data is stored in DT.

Not using the server option but want to. It is definitely on my radar. The big limitation for me right now is simply understanding it.

I’ve recently set up the DEVONthink server on my home server and it works well, with one little snag: When I browse to the site from my iPad, the server thinks I’m using an iPhone and so it displays an iPhone-friendly interface instead of the regular one (which is what I’d prefer to see on the iPad). Haven’t taken the time yet to see if there’s a way to hack around this, but I hope it’s something that DEVONtech can address in a future update.

I love my iPad, but neither the iPad nor the iPhone has enough horsepower (at least not yet) to run a full version of DEVONthink.

The Server mode of DT Pro Office provides a Web-browser based access to the database(s) selected in File > Database Properties. One can browse or search the database(s) (with the full power of DT search), view or download content and upload notes or files.

But the Server mode doesn’t allow the remote user to actually edit the database(s).

Keep an eye on the Blog for Eric’s posts about DEVONthink To Go, which will allow one to select content from one or more databases and synch that content to the iPad/IPhone/iPod Touch. This will work for all versions of DEVONthink and for DEVONnote as well.

A late reply to the poll:

I never thought I would use a server, thought it was the least important part in DTPO. But now I love it. The set up is so easy, did not take a minute – for someone like me!

I use the iPad as a PDF reader – to study like in former times: reading a book in a peaceful environment, just reading and understanding, no action. For this I can sit in front of our house, with some nice drink, download PDFs and other documents from my database and just read. :slight_smile:

Just one problem: Why is there a 2MB limit for documents? :imp: Almost all PDFs are larger. Is there a chance to get this limit off?

Best,
Maria

Earlier iOS versions couldn’t handle large PDF documents and therefore crashed Safari. But we will probably remove this limit or add the possibility to override it.

Great news! The server is really helpful.

Maria

I’d use the web server if multiple users could access it and if it were editable!

I would definitely use the web server more if it worked more like a full-featured application.