Poor performance during indexing

I have been happy with Devonsphere Express, except for one significant annoyance.

When it is updating the index, it and the devonbot process peg the processor (on a 3GHz core 2 duo). The whole computer is almost unresponsive for the 5-10 seconds (or occasionally longer?) required.

Is it possible to have the index go at half throttle (so to speak) so that other apps are not so affected.

After all, isn’t indexing supposed to be a background process?

thanks
jason

Thank you for the suggestion! Could you please send the file ~/Library/Application Support/DEVONsphere Express/Logs/devonbot/default.log to cgrunenberg - at - devon-technologies.com?

Just to say I’m trialling DEVONsphere and have the exact same problem – devonbot hogs all the processor cycles (and a HUGE chunk of real memory) rendering the MBP almost unusable until it stops. This is not friendly software!

How many cores and how RAM does your Macbook have? And could you please send me the log file (see above)? Thanks!

Cores: don’t know, it’s an i7 processor though

logfile - just going out, will send later

The number of cores and the amount of RAM is e.g. displayed in the “About this Mac” panel (see Apple menu).

It’s 8GB and 2 cores

That should be definitely sufficient, therefore the log file might be useful to figure out what’s going on.

I’ve just emailed the log

To be fair, I’ve not noticed such a big impact on performance today. It may have been during the initial indexing that it was having a bigger impact. The effect is still clearly noticeable, though, e.g. menus, file dialogue boxes etc. slow to appear, and devonbot/DSE still grabbing all available cycles and memory

Hi,

I just want to add that I’ve been noticing the same problems.
With Devonsphere Express running I notice a slow down of the system. E.g. apps are starting up much slower etc.
Any news on finding out how to solve the problem? Except for shutting down Devonsphere?!

My system is a MacBook Pro Early 2011, 2.3 GHz Intel Core i5, 8 GB RAM
I will send out the log file later.

Cheers,
Tim

Similar problem here.

Devonbot takes often 100% CPU.

Could you please send us the file ~/Library/Application Support/DEVONsphere Express/Logs/devonbot/default.log? Thanks in advance!

ScreenShot 2013-11-02 at 7.25.51 PM.jpgNot one to say “me too” but… me too.

I see three processes running in Activity Monitor:
devonbot (not responding) 70% cpu
devonbotd32 12% cpu
devonbotd64 12% cpuScreenShot 2013-11-02 at 7.25.51 PM.jpg

What’s with all the devonbots? Why are my fans running full speed?

Once the indexing FINALLY finished (10 full minutes) my machine is back to normal. I viewed the preferences dialog in DevonSphere Express and saw it was indexing my email. Fair enough, but I WISH IT WOULD GET A MOVE ON!

can’t upload my log file because I get an error saying The extension is not allowed. funny. I removed the extension and get the same error.

ZIP it (the file, I mean) and attach it.