PopClip Highlight extension and DT3

I realize this is not a PopClip forum, but…

The PopClip Highlight extension, which works well in DTPO, does not work in DT3. It would be nice if someone (with more expertise than I) could modify it so that it would work with DT3.

Curious as to what it did?

Given that Popclip assigns only one colour. For me, I just attach a few shortcut keys to the most frequently used highlight colours as suggest by this thread. BTW, Popclip hasn’t been updated in App Store for a year (I think) so I guess don’t stick to it …

What PopClip Highlight extension?

Here’s the URL: https://pilotmoon.com/popclip/extensions/page/Highlight

You can find the extension here: https://pilotmoon.com/popclip/extensions/. It’s the fifth from the top.

Highlight the selected text. Works in Pages, Preview, Evernote, Alternote, Scrivener, DevonThink, Skim, PDFpen and PDF Expert.

In many cases the extensions are provided by the programmers of the respective app it works with. But since the highlighting extensions works with so many apps it might come from Popclip’s Nick Moore himself.

Although it is true that the extension has no colour picker it does respect the highlighting colour set in DTP 2’s menu bar. It’s a quite handy extension and I’d too love to see it work with DP 3 as well.

You shouldn’t worry that Popclip hasn’t been updated for a while—the core app is near to perfection for what it does and its repository of extensions, while already being huge, is still growing.

it might come from Popclip’s Nick Moore himself.

It looks like it is.
Nick’s a good guy too. I’ve had several conversations with him over the past few years :slight_smile:

I rarely let any app launch on startup on my machines, but PopClip is one. In fact…

That’s it. :slight_smile:

:astonished: WOW!

:stuck_out_tongue: Why the surprise?

I’m using Popclip myself, too. Very handy. But, it seems the developer is quite busy, I actually informed him about (1) the highlight is not compatible with DT3 and (2) the DTPO extension need to be updated three weeks ago (8 May to be exact) but not hearing anything so far. Just fyi.

We’re a small company but he’s working solo. He may also do contract work on the side. :slight_smile:

Thanks for the info. I like the app but guess I haven’t used it long enough (just a month) to make a fair expectation/judgement to the response time of the developer…

The problem with the pre-DEVONthink 3 PopClip extension is easy to see if you download a fresh copy and examine the components of the extension package (folder). It contains two AppleScripts that use:

tell application "DEVONthink Pro"

if these are changed to

tell application ID "DNtp"

then the scripts will work with DEVONthink 3.

Problem is, you have to create you own custom extension – using the same ideas and files as the one provided by PopClip – since the one you download is signed and cannot be modified without some gray hacking.

Popclip is probably the single most-used app on my MBPro. Indispensable, really; a real time saver in so many ways.

2 Likes

Wait, PopClip isn’t core macOS? Could’ve sworn…:stuck_out_tongue:

I’m glad it’s not so Nick can make some coin on it. I certainly opened my wallet for this one, after about 5 minutes of using it. :slight_smile:

Popclip and BTT we all take for granted, they are like part of the Mac.

:stuck_out_tongue:

Perhaps Nick will allow colored icons at some point. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I like :smile:

I did open my wallet after 5 mins of using the app and I also sent Nick an email suggesting him to consider adding more items or ways to customisation for DT3. BTT is another app that I opened my wallet instantly after using it.

2 Likes