possible to copy title of an item along with the link

Now I am thinking that it must be possible to copy the title of an item along with the link. And since I do not see any option to do so in the DT interface, I am assuming that this will only be possible by invoking a script.

Anybody else ever felt the need to do this?

Thank you!

It is not a built-in feature to put title+link on the clipboard, but this is the script I use to do that. The clipboard will contain a rich-text link – so it needs to be pasted into a RTF document. To use the script, copy the text inside “Code” below. Open Script Editor, paste the text, compile, and save it to a personal folder inside

/Users/Dakota/Library/Application Support/DEVONthink Pro 2/Scripts

-- with reference to http://macscripter.net/viewtopic.php?id=26498
-- this will put a link on the clipboard to the current document (or group) selected in DEVONthink

tell application id "DNtp"
	set o_URL to (the reference URL of (the first item of (selection as list)) as string)
	set o_Text to (the name of the content record of think window 1)
	set o_HTML to quoted form of ("<font face=\"helvetica\"><a href=\"" & o_URL & "\">" & o_Text & "</a></font>")
	do shell script "echo " & o_HTML & " | textutil -format html -convert rtf -stdin -stdout | pbcopy -Prefer rtf"
end tell

Thank you @Korm!! :slight_smile:

This is great. Just what I needed. I have made a slight modification to make it work for markdown. I did not know what you were doing in the shell script portion aside from echo, but I did not touch that and it still works for Markdown.

So big thanks!

Here is the slightly modified version that I am using.

-- with reference to http://macscripter.net/viewtopic.php?id=26498
-- this will put a link on the clipboard to the current document (or group) selected in DEVONthink
-- with reference to https://discourse.devontechnologies.com/t/possible-to-copy-title-of-an-item-along-with-the-link/20910/1

set o_URL to (the reference URL of (the first item of (selection as list)) as string)
	set o_Text to (the name of the content record of think window 1)
	set o_HTML to quoted form of ("[" & o_Text & "]" & "(" & o_URL & ")")
	do shell script "echo " & o_HTML & " | textutil -format html -convert rtf -stdin -stdout | pbcopy -Prefer rtf"
end tell

The Markdown version of this is actually simpler than the proposal.

set theItem to (the first item of (the selection as list))
	set the clipboard to "[" & name of theItem & "](" & reference URL of theItem & ")"
end tell

Just a suggestion, but when revising scripts it’s best not to leave extraneous code in place – it can create a future failure point if that code becomes unsupported by the AppleScript parser. The code you left behind is what’s used to put RTF-styled text on the clipboard by using a call to textutil. It’s of course not needed when producing plain text results.

1. Thanks for the right code!
  2. Got to learn applescript. :slight_smile: