Preferences > Data

The documentation says;
”Predefined Custom Metadata: In Preferences > Data, we have provided some custom metadata fields to get you started. These are ready to use and explore and serve as great examples of the data types discussed above:”

In my installation (3.0.3) the Custom Metadata column is empty and I have not found any way to get the above fields pre-loaded.

Go to Preferences-Data and check the box for the field(s) you wish to use.

The thing is the Custom Metadata pane is empty.

Quit DEVONthink 3, delete ~/Library/Application Support/DEVONthink 3/CustomMetadata.plist and launch it again. This should add the defaults again.

Worked!
Thank you very much.

I also had them missing, so did the above. This removed the custom that I had created, but did restore the defaults. However, as I was looking through them, they all disappeared.

Please choose Help > Report Bug while pressing the Alt modifier key and send the result to cgrunenberg - at - devon-technologies.com - thanks!

Uhm… not sure what to do here. I saved the original CustomMetadata.plist and replaced it after I tried the above. So, my custom meta is back, but the defaults are still missing. Do you want me to report a bug as it is now, or as it was when I tried to restore defaults (and deleted existing custom)?

The defaults are only restored if there’s no CustomMetadata.plist first. Replacing it with another file replaces all the current definitions.

I would assume so. But I never had any defaults show, so I tried the above:

This returned the defaults for about 30 seconds and then they disappeared. I actually saw them vanish. Since I wanted my (one) custom data back, I deleted the newly created one and dragged the old one back from the Desktop.

But, to send in a Bug Report, do I send it as it is now, or go through the procedure above and then submit.

Do you use multiple Macs and synchronize them? Then you might have to disable the sync on all machines and delete CustomMetadata.plist on all of them first.

Yes I do; that makes sense.

Is there a way to put back the existing custom metadata once I restore the defaults?

That’s not possible. What exactly do you need of the defaults? Maybe it’s easier to just add this.

Well, I don’t know what the defaults are, so I have no idea if I need/want to use them or not. But I’d like to have them for potential future use.

However, I think I already deleted the custom data when I tried to restore the defaults, so I’ll turn off the sync on both Macs and re-restore.

Help > Documentation > Windows > Sidebar: Navigate > Smart Rules.

1 Like