Preserving URL Description Metadata

I dragged and dropped an html file (with links and visible Description metadata for some of the bookmarks) into DT3 to import it.

Then I used the DT3 Links Inspector to Select All the links in that html file and dragged all the highlighted links into the main area so that DT3 would import all of that list of links into individual Web Internet Location links in my (subject specific) Inbox.

If I select one of those links that I know had Description Metadata in the html file, I can see within the Properties Tab of the Document Inspector a field called “Description” (not normally there) that contains the correct description text.

QUESTION:

When I convert these Web Internet Location links into PDF+Text versions, where is this description info? I don’t see it in the PDF items’ Inspector fields anymore.

Is there some way of preserving this info and keeping it attached to each of the PDF converted versions?

I don’t want to manually copy each one’s Properties’ Description to some Custom Meta-data field with the same name.

I would like to automate that if possible.

TIA

In case of the bookmark it’s only online, meaning it’s the metadata of the currently viewed web page. E.g. without a preview pane the inspector doesn’t show anything.

A Description is not used in PDF files.

Here is a bookmark showing the description - and a TON of tags (sheesh!!!) and the converted PDF…

Here’s the URL, just in case…

So, there is no means within the DT3 program to transfer visible (and manually copyable) text in a URL metadata Description?

And there is no script anyone has written to automatically copy Info clearly visible in one field of the Inpector (the Description in Properties) into any other custom-metadata field for a PDF item?

The only way I can do anything is to manually select and copy the info and then paste it manually into a custom metadata field? I’ve got a thousand URLs with I don’t know 80% of them having substantive Descriptions.

Major bummer.

And there is no script anyone has written to automatically copy Info clearly visible in one field of the Inpector (the Description in Properties) into any other custom-metadata field for a PDF item?

I have never seen a request like this before so no there is no built-in script or one available I’m aware of.

I’ve got a thousand URLs

Why do you have “a thousand URLs” to process?
What are you specifically trying to accomplish?

As you said: It is metadata description. And its part of the HTML document (not of the URL that points to that document). As such (part of the document), you can extract it and copy it to a metadata field, using a script.

If I understand you correctly, the description field is filled dynamically when the bookmark is loaded (from the corresponding meta element, I guess). In that case, wouldn’t it be reasonable, to copy these meta elements to the corresponding meta data fields of the PDF record when it is created from the bookmark? Since the bookmark has to be loaded anyway for that, the data should be available (unless I misunderstood something).

That’s exactly what I want to do but I don’t want to do it manually.

That’s why I mentioned scripting - the script automates the process. But you’d have to write it manually (I suppose).

The next release will retain certain HTML metadata when capturing/clipping/converting web pages & bookmarks:

1 Like