Preview of .eml files (from Postbox)

Hi there,

I am wondering if there is a way to preview .eml Emails I have saved from my E-Mail client Postbox 7?
I get a plain text preview of the files, but that is not human readable.
It seems Quicklook in macOS is also not able to preview these files.
Is there a way in DT to view these files without opening them im Mail or Postbox?
Do I need DT Pro for this, as it has an “E-Mail Archiving” feature?

The standard edition of DEVONthink 3 supports only the Quick Look-based preview of emails which should be identical to the Finder. But usually this works fine in both the Finder and DEVONthink. Does it work after rebooting the computer? The Pro & Server editions of DEVONthink 3 include also an alternate email view which supports text selection, finding & highlighting of found occurrences.

Thanks for the information.
I did some digging and eventually found out why the Quick Look for eml does not work on my system.
Apparently there was a privacy issue with Spotlight and OSX Yosemite!!! that would cause spotlight to load external content in eml files even though it was disabled in Mail.
Therefore I configured just a plaintext view in Quick Look for eml as a workaround.
I had all forgotten about it. :slightly_smiling_face:
I have now reenabled it as this is no longer an issue.

Thanks Christian. DEVONthink Pro meets enough of my new requirements that I will upgrade to Pro. I’ve been using DEVONthink for many years now and have never managed to outgrow it.

DEVONthink is one of the few apps I use all day, every day, and just keeps on giving, year upon year, without growing tired or skipping a beat. A lot like my (Japanese) motorcycle.

Thanks to the DT team for making such a large part of my work and research life possible. :+1:

2 Likes