Printing & Fonts

It would be really nice if the default behavior for DT would be to print the contents of a selected item in the document list rather than the document list itself. Currently, to print a bunch of things, I have to select each one individually, click in the content, then click print. If you select a document and click print (without bringing the content into focus), it prints the document list. (Telling you how many sheets of paper I’ve wasted would make me look dumber than I really am, so that’s a secret  :) )Even better–allowing printing of multiple documents by just selecting them in the list. For those who want to print the document list, a contextual menu item which appears when click-and-hold occurs in the document list would suffice (and make more sense), I imagine.

Also, allowing for a “page break” in RTF documents would be fantastic for those of us creating documents in DT. Is there any way to incorporate textedit’s “wrap to page” feature? Is that what DT’s “preview page” feature is supposed to do (I can’t find any way to get that feature in DT to work–it’s always grayed out).

Lastly, is it me, or do the printed results using a font, at–say–16 point look on paper like they’re 9 or 10 pt? I’ve had to go in and change all the documents I have to print to 18pt to make them look like 12pt on paper (so they’re absolutely huge on the screen). I did a test print from DT and a test print from Textedit and the font sizes, while the same on the screen, are vastly different between the prints. I think something’s wrong with the way DT determines font sizes when printing.

Anyone?

Page breaks will be probably added to version 1.9 which will also introduce a “Merge” view meaning that multiple selected documents are displayed as one on demand. And you’ll be able to print this view of course too.

I am a newly registered user of DEVONthink, and noticed the same issue with printed sizes noted below.

Here’s the weird thing (a “feature”?):

If you start with 9 pt as listed in the RTF formatting, the size it comes out on the printer depending on the size of the DEVONthink window when you print it.

Anyone have any ideas about how to make the print size come out more consistently on the printer?

Thanks

>Lastly, is it me, or do the printed results using a font, at–say–16 point
>look on paper like they’re 9 or 10 pt? I’ve had to go in and change all the
>documents I have to print to 18pt to make them look like 12pt on paper
>(so they’re absolutely huge on the screen). I did a test print from DT and a
>test print from Textedit and the font sizes, while the same on the screen,
>are vastly different between the prints. I think something’s wrong with the
>way DT determines font sizes when printing.

As there’s no page view available yet, DT currently prints like TextEdit (wrapped to window). Therefore the document is scaled if it’s wider than the paper. However, version 1.9.x will introduce a page view and therefore printing should work as expected.

I think it’s safe to say that the writers in the group (of whom there seem to be rather many) are looking forward to this 1.9 release with page view.  And also, we are hoping, page numbering.  And if are truly blessed, headers and footers.

Some of the other related Panther-friendly apps (i.e. Hog Bay Notebook) are also pretty good for casual writing, but the developers seem interested primarily in the outlining or snippet-gathering features of the software.  Christian seems however to understand better the need, in many cases, to create page-oriented documents to be printed the old-fashioned way.  Even in the digital age some of us do still crank out letters, manuscripts, memoranda and the like.  For us, the new features expected in 1.9 or 2.0 will probably give DT a decisive edge.

Can’t promise page numbering or headers/footers for v1.9 as it’s still on the to-do list for this version but v1.9.x will definitely include these things. And V1.9 will also include a full screen mode (initially added for image/movie viewing or browsing in kiosk mode but supporting text documents now too).