Problem with database

Hi -
I have a database that has no files in it whatsoever (I moved them all over to a new database). Yet - there is still 1,6 GB of data in the supposedly empty database. Only none of it is visible in the database itself. So I opened the Finder, unpacked the database and found some or all of the missing files in a file called Files.noindex.
I ran the help programs in the menu such as “check and repair database”, “optimize database” (I am translating from the German here). To no avail. I had the index rebuilt. Also to no avail.
Please help!
All the best, Rudolf

What had happened with this database prior to showing no files?
Did you restore it from a backup or …?

Hold the Option key and choose File > Restore Database and choose a previous date.

Thank you for your swift reply. This is the course of events:

1. I upgraded to DevonThink 3
  2. Created a new database
  3. Imported around 26gb of data that was stored in the “My Documents” folder of my Mac into the new database.
  4. Tried to sync this to my iPad.
  5. Realized that it didn’t sync at all (the data showed up on the iPad but not in the corresponding database). Whereas another, also newly created database synced without problem.
  6. Believing that maybe there was a fault with the database itself, created another database on the Mac, moved all the data from the problematic database over to this new one.
  7. Prior to erasing the problematic database, I discovered that still held 1,6 GB of data. Whithout however containing any - within the app - visible files.
  8. I contacted you.
  1. Imported around 26gb of data that was stored in the “My Documents” folder of my Mac into the new database

Why?

1. Realized that it didn’t sync at all (the data showed up on the iPad but not in the corresponding database). Whereas another, also newly created database synced without problem.

What corresponding database ?

Did you follow my instructions?

In my previous post a recounted the course of events before contacting the forum here. Maybe this explains your “why” question.

as to point 5. of my previous post: I could see on my iPad that the data of the database had synced to the iPad (the storage space on my iPad shrunk by approx. 26 GB while syncing) but the the data itself (i.e., the files) did not show up in the app itself.

I attempted to follow your instructions but: there are only two backups from yesterday, which are much smaller (186 MB) than the size of the database (1,6GB). So, if I restore from one of the backups I am afraid to lose many files.