Problem with PDF

All my imported PDF’s (via the Group Window) appear now as thumbnails, when before I was ‘in the document’ direct. The only thing I changed was to put Preview as my default application for all my PDF’s.

What did I do wrong?

Thank you.

Please verify the database (see Tools > Verify & Repair). If there should be no errors, please check also the path of the PDF documents (see Info panel).

I have no errors and the path is direct to my database:

/Users/Manuel/Documents/Devonthink/Databases/Investments.dtBase/Files/China Core Inflation Apri08.pdf

Once again, this happened suddenly since I changed my default PDF application to preview for all PDF’s.

Thanks again for your help.

Some questions:

First, Quit DT Pro.

1. Is the database file really located at /Users/Manuel/Documents/Devonthink/Databases/Investments.dtBase? Check in the Finder so make sure this is the correct Path to the database.

2. Is the database file really named “Investments.dtBase”? Check this in the Finder.

3. In the Finder, select the database, Control-click and choose the contextual menu option Show Package Contents. Examine the contents of the Files folder. Is there a PDF file named “China Core Inflation Apri08.pdf”?

4. Have you perhaps (in the Finder) moved or renamed the database file while it was open? Note: It’s not a good idea to do such actions, including making a copy in the Finder, while a database is open.

5. Have you perhaps used a DT Pro script to change the names of files, e.g., in Scripts > Path & URL?

1. Is the database file really located at /Users/Manuel/Documents/Devonthink/Databases/Investments.dtBase? Check in the Finder so make sure this is the correct Path to the database.

Yes, it is

1. Is the database file really named “Investments.dtBase”? Check this in the Finder.

Yes, it is

1. In the Finder, select the database, Control-click and choose the contextual menu option Show Package Contents. Examine the contents of the Files folder. Is there a PDF file named “China Core Inflation Apri08.pdf”?

Yes, there is. (This problem is the same for ALL my PDF’s in my Database)

1. Have you perhaps (in the Finder) moved or renamed the database file while it was open? Note: It’s not a good idea to do such actions, including making a copy in the Finder, while a database is open.

No, I haven’t

1. Have you perhaps used a DT Pro script to change the names of files, e.g., in Scripts > Path & URL?

I didn’t touch the scripts

Thanks for helping me.

Two more quick checks:

1. With the database open, select a PDF (let’s use your example one). Choose File > Export > Files & Folders and export that PDF to your Desktop.

1a) Check Tools > Log for any report about that export.

1b) In the Finder, if that PDF is on your Desktop, double-click on it. Does it open properly in Preview?

1. With the database closed, in the Finder select the database package file and choose the contextual menu option Show Package Contents. Locate that specific PDF file within the Files folder. Copy (Option-Drag) it to another location outside the database. Now, double-click on the new PDF copy. Does it open properly under Preview?

Two more quick checks:

1. With the database open, select a PDF (let’s use your example one). Choose File > Export > Files & Folders and export that PDF to your Desktop.

1a) Check Tools > Log for any report about that export.

No report in the log window.

1b) In the Finder, if that PDF is on your Desktop, double-click on it. Does it open properly in Preview?

Yes

1. With the database closed, in the Finder select the database package file and choose the contextual menu option Show Package Contents. Locate that specific PDF file within the Files folder. Copy (Option-Drag) it to another location outside the database. Now, double-click on the new PDF copy. Does it open properly under Preview?

Yes

there is actually a file on my Desktop: Devontech_Storage, with the following message inside: bplist00Ñ_China Core Inflation Apri08.pdfÒUthumbUtitle -28>?

I m not sure that helps.

That DEVONtech_storage file was created when you exported a PDF to the Desktop; it carries any metadata associated with the exported file(s). (Which is why it’s a good idea to send exports to a new folder, to prevent stuff from getting scattered around.)

You can safely delete that file.

Suggestion: Please send an email to Support, including as an attachment a recent DT Pro crash report (if any), a list of the “Other” preference panes from System Preferences, and a list of the extensions on your computer.

You might also check permissions/ownership of the database package & its files folder.