A very annoying problem happened today which took a long time to solve.
Everything was working perfectly between my iMac, iPhone and iPad (sync store on personal webdav server). Now, the iPad was behaving erratically since the iOS 11 update so I finally found some time to do a backup, wipe and restore from iTunes (BTW, it really helps iOS start afresh and operate faster, no need to to a clean wipe and reinstall everything).
Everything on the iPad restored OK except the sync store data in DT. So I entered the server URL and all the passwords. Then I enabled the two databases in that sync store, which are the default Global Inbox and my main database. The Inbox was enabled OK, but when I turned on the main database the app became unresponsive and quit after about 20 seconds.
When I launched DTTG again, the main database was enabled in the sync store but DTTG didn’t sync anymore. The data was still intact in the app (so it seems, all groups and items were listed), but I got a message in the log (cloud icon with triangle) saying “uploading of 4789 items impossible”. I only store metadata on DTTG, and there are only 3 or 4 PDFs actually downloaded to the device.
I cleared the message, quit DTTG, launched it again. I got no log message but nothing synced anymore, not even the Global Inbox.
Then I realized that I made a very small typo in the name of the sync store as entered on the iPad (not the URL or AES key, just the sync store name above the AES password field). So I think it just created a new sync store or tried to access an non-existing one, without telling me anything even remotely helpful.
After successfully connecting to the WebDAV sync store (with the correct name), DTTG then proceeded to upload 4789 items and then synchronize them all over again, which seems a bit pointless and takes a long time. I don’t see what could have triggered this, nothing has changed on the iPad’s databases. It should normally just check for new and modified items on the WebDAV server, which usually takes around 3 seconds.
During all this time, DTTG on the iPhone and DTPO were communicating happily using the same sync store (I checked).
Most of the time DTTG works flawlessly and seems like black magic, so when the technology starts behaving like this it’s quite frustrating. IMHO it should provide some more helpful information when something goes wrong like this. Someone with ten times more items in his or her database could go insane over this…