Problems with search

Hello,

I only use Devonthink to scan documents as PDF+OCR Text.

I switch from Devonthink 2 to Devonthink 3 and now I have a problem with the search function. In a single document I can search for a text but not over all documents.

So a search over all documents don’t work.

Where could be my mistake?

Thanks

Andreas

Hi Andreas and welcome to the forum :slight_smile: Are you only unable to search for terms across older documents, or does search not work for current documents (i.e., a file which you have scanned and OCR’d today)?

‘Universal’ search relies on an index which DEVONthink creates (not to be mistaken with ‘indexing’, which is a separate entity); searching in a document does not rely on an index, but instead performs a realtime search in the document. So as far as that goes, it is technically feasible that you should have a problem with ‘universal’ search but not with an individual search.

It may be worth simply performing “Verify & Repair Database” from the File menu in DEVONthink.

Thanks for your fast answer. The problem is with all documents. I think you are right, the database have a problem. I got an error when I try to repair the database.
What are the next steps? A new database and import all documents again?

A screenshot of the error would be useful. In addition, which search term did you use in the toolbar?

Hi,
here is the error

Here the search box

You will find more information regarding the errors in the log (from the menu select Window/Log) - what is being reported there?

The search window you are using above is not the ‘universal’ search, but the search within a document. ‘Universal’ search is to be found in the toolbar at the top of DEVONthink.

DEVONthink 2 and 3 are quite different, obviously in the UI but also in what they can do. It’s probably a good idea to look at DEVONthink 3 as a completely new app which means you should read the help.

1 Like

In terms of search, the problem is sitting in front of the PC :wink:
Thanks for you help! I will read the FAQ how I can repair the database

1 Like