Pro's/Con's of Indexing over Database Use

No. The Finder manages its own tags.

Jim, Thanks!

You’re welcome.

Note: If you don’t want to import and export Finder tags, go into the built-in Help > Documentation > Appendix > Hidden Preferences and click the On link under DisableFinderTags. However, please realize this inhibits both importing and exporting Finder tags.

From what I understand from these posts, indexed folders that are stored locally on a Mac will be indexed and synced quite well between Macs. My question is that the indexed folder on Mac, will it be considered as indexed on iOS or an ordinary non-indexed folder? I don’t have OTTG yet, so I’m not able to test this.

DEVONthink To Go doesn’t support indexing so the files will be local to the iOS device. However, DEVONthink will be unaffected by this and its files will remain indexed.

Just to confirm, does this mean the following?

• File A is indexed on the Mac to a DT database and the database is synced to the iOS device.
  • File A is modified on the iOS device.
  • The modification of File A would sync back correctly to the Mac.
  • The modification of File A can be confirmed when opening it with an app other than DT.

Correct.

Great! Thanks for the clarification.

No problem :slight_smile:

Does this mean that if I want to add new files, I must operate on the Mac and index them into DT to ensure consistency?

If you want to add new files … where? In Dropbox?

The source file is in Dropbox.

Yes, you can continue adding files to Dropbox as you need to. However, in DEVONthink you may need to select the indexed group in the database and choose File > Update Indexed Items if the new files aren’t automatically appearing in the database.

However, bear in mind, adding files to Dropbox in iOS will not cause them to appear in DEVONthink To Go until DEVONthink has been updated and syncs to DEVONthink To Go.

Thank you very much. I found that creating a new document in the folder I indexed (indexed in DEVONthink) will create a normal document in the original file (Dropbox). Are they logically synchronized with each other? I don’t know much about indexes. This is my first contact. This index seems to be extremely beneficial for saving space in synchronization?

You’re welcome.

I found that creating a new document in the folder I indexed (indexed in DEVONthink) will create a normal document in the original file (Dropbox).

If you create or move files into an indexed group in DEVONthink, they will move to the external Finder folder (deconsolidate)

I don’t know much about indexes. This is my first contact.

Have you read this: Help > Documentation > In & Out > Importing & Indexing, especially the Indexing and the filesystem section?

This is a must read, especially if you’re indexing items in cloud-sync locations.

This index seems to be extremely beneficial for saving space in synchronization?

This is incorrect. By default, the content of indexed items is also synchronized. It is possible to disable this but it is not suggested except for very specific circumstances. If DEVONthink To Go is being used and synced, you definitely should not disable it.

Just a comment about my personal experience with indexing and importing.

After progressively indexing more and more folders which I needed to share with wider family, I have now changed all my databases to indexed.

I just find it easier to have everything either indexed or imported…having a mixture was more likely to lead to mistakes (by me).

Thanks for your thoughts on this. :slight_smile: