question abo modifying files in DT and synchronize.

A little unclear about this concept: I import a folder containing html files. I synchronize the folder after import. I open folder, then file for editing within Dt; save and exit Dt. I then use finder to locate the file, open with a web browser - the changes I made in Dt are not visible? I thought synchronize automatically updated this file on the drive?

My goal is to edit in Dt; save changes; FTP the modified html pages to my website.

What am I missing?

The sync feature is still a one-way. DEVONthink 2.0 will allow to edit indexed files and so solve this problem.

Best,

Eric.

Please allow us the option of whether the sync is one way or two way in DT 2.0 please.

ChemBob

For many people, there will be no need for a sync function. You will be able to (a) import a file or (b) index it. In case (b), you can still edit it, but this will always also modify the file in the file system.

Best,

Eric.

In my particular case I like being able to sync a folder, one way, to get any new files placed in that folder in the file system into DEVONthink. But I don’t usually want changes I make to that file in DEVONthink to show up in the actual file in the file system. However I can see that there might be the occasional desire to have the file system file reflect the change. So it seems to me that being able to sync only one way (changing only the DT aspect) with the option to sync both ways (changing both the file system and the DT files to the most recent version in either) would be desirable. I haven’t used indexing much because the manual strongly indicated that it was preferable to import files and, at the time, I wasn’t aware of issues/changes that made the manual in need of some revisions. So, I’m not 100% clear on what is the best way to operate to obtain a given result. I’m unsure what is the optimal way to manage getting the information into DT and managing it there for optimizing my information searching processes. I’d bet from what I’ve read in these forums that I’m not alone in this regard. At any rate, it seems to be working pretty good for me, but I’m always looking for ways to improve things.

ChemBob