Question about Linking & Sheets

Thank you for the sheet! If the destination is not available in the currently opened databases (anymore), then the raw item link is shown in the sheet. In this case it’s not clickable. Otherwise the name of the item should be shown and Cmd-click should open a new tab.

Hello! Just to make sure we’re talking about the same thing here :grinning:, I recorded a quick demo video. Please see: Loom | Free Screen & Video Recording Software

Please let me know what you think. Thank you! @cgrunenberg

Thank you for the video! Is the data type of the Link column still Item Link? In that case the column shouldn’t support editing & pasting at all but provide a popup to choose the destination instead.

Yesterday’s video was a URL field for link, and today’s (quick video: Loom | Free Screen & Video Recording Software) is an Item link. Thanks again for your help!

What happens if you disable DEVONthink’s Preferences > General > Interface > Enable tabbed browsing?

Ah! That’s getting me somewhere! :grinning:
Now Command + Clicking the item link (when the item link is entered in the URL field example I shared) OR command clicking the item link (when selected from the item link menu, not pasting in a path), results in the opening of a new DT window all together to that correct location.

Is it possible to make it NOT open in a new window, and open in the same window? Thank you!

Is it possible to make it NOT open in a new window, and open in the same window?

That’s what tabbed browsing should be doing, except just opening a tab for the document.

Add ?reveal=1 to the end of the item link and try Command-clicking again.

1 Like

Ah yes, that worked, thank you! Really appreciate you sticking with my questions! :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

1 Like

You’re welcome.

:slight_smile:

If I may hijack this thread – I have the exact same issue here, and just wanted to ask the DEVONtechnologies team whether adding ?reveal=1 really is the “official” way of making links work in sheets.

If that is the case, could we perhaps get a more intuitive solution into your “planned features” list? I would really appreciate if links that are displayed as blue underlined text are “just clickable” without needing any modifier keys or manual modifications of the URL. Thanks!

What’s the type of the column containing the links?

It’s of type “URL”, and the link is an x-devonthink-item:// URL. It gets formatted as blue and underlined as soon as I paste it in but is not clickable in neither the tabular nor the dataset view.

I tested the behaviour also with https:// URLs and saw the same issue.

The default handling is for editing but these links can be opened via Cmd-clicking in a new tab.